Retro hardtail shortlist £100-£150

Bang for buck I'd go for a Saracen. Can be had with decent spec for £50 to £100 easily, quite often a bit less. 1989 was the best year imo :cool:

Diamond Back, Carrera, Ridgeback, Dawes etc also give great BfB because they're not that popular. Doesn't mean they're bad though and prices can be very, very low.

If it was my money I'd be looking towards a Orange Clockwork/Prestige/Aluminium 'O'. A decent one will be at the top of your price range and above though unless you grab a bargain. Also look towards a 1990/91/92 Marin. Your budget should get you on a decent Eldridge or Pine Mountain. Beware of over priced low spec Marins though, some people have paid way over the odds in the past so some sellers think they can charge 100's for a Muirwoods or Palisades. :facepalm:

This 1990 Cindercone :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290881430...sid=p3984.m1555.l2649&clk_rvr_id=462715119395
went for only £75 and would have fitted the bill nicely.
The Cindercone and Lavadome should be on the list along with the Kiluea (you may get lucky) and there have been a few Stumpjumpers traded for less than £150.
The Clockwork should be on the list but they have such a strong following that values remain high and you get less for your money, just don't overpay for something with STX when you could have LX or DX on the others.
Also the GT Avalanche is a good bet too, There is a 1991 for sale on here at the moment in your budget and that has DX and a Prestige frame in the iconic Daktari White paint scheme. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=243922&hilit=avalanche That's where my money would be.

Carl.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Look no further

I have been thinking of having a good clear out in the coming months

I have a
92 kona lava dome
89 Saracen tufftrax
94 kona lava dome
And an orange c16r project

All of which will be up for grabs soon

Kirbdug :D

Orange C16R: Has to be one of the most underated retrobikes out there, really excellent bikes and tough as old boots.

Don't forget that Canti's and V's share the same bosses, all my MTB's have V brakes, and they range from a 1990 Roberts White Spider to a 2002 Yates.

You should get a decent GT Avalanche for that kind of money - prestige tubes and DX/XT - great riding bikes :cool:

Back