Santa Cruz Heckler 97

boxxer

MacRetro Rider
Should really start a build thread for this one....

Picked up this 97 Heckler frame from one of the MacRetro brethren a good while ago now, it cost me a 96 RTS 3 with Alloy and Steel back ends (a foray into my unicorns which soured but a better 93 RTS 1 will present itself at some point) a pair of Mag 20's and a set of modernish Ringle Skewers which I didnt love as much as my Shimano ones.

I see the Heckler as the precursor to my 01 Santa Cruz Bullitt so the opportunity to have both in the garage and useable on the hills was too good to pass up.

This one is a bit more what would now be called All Mountain than the pure DH set up of the Bullitt (which as an 01 frame and 02 Fork I cant post here anyway ;) ) so it's a bit more useable everyday. Stem and bars are due to be changed as the front end needs to be higher and Keithyr has a stem hidden away for me

Was trying to keep the colours to Red and Black and silver but I'll see how that goes

I also have a couple options on Forks, have a 95 Judy DH in there at the moment but also have a 97/98 Z1 as a standby, just need to decide which to use... tried fitting a few parts on and this was the result

8591448037_5966e22c79_z.jpg

Wheels are off my M-Trax, shock is the short travel one from my bullitt (interestingly both have the same length and stroke but the bullitt produces 6" and the heckler only 4.5) and some of the other parts are destined for other builds.

Spec is

Frame: 97 Santa Cruz Heckler
Fork: 95 Rockshox Judy DH (maybe Marzocchi Z1)
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Marin DH (will be replaced with Azonic Shorty)
Handlebar: Raleigh Straight bar (will be replaced with something Answer / Azonic)
Grips: GT Lock On
Brakes: Magura HS33 Raceline Front, Hope C2 Rear
Shifters: XT 740
Front Derailleur: M953 Tp, Ts
Rear Derailleur: M952 (needs new top pulley)
Derailleur Cables: Clarks
Cassette: HG50 8spd or M737 (depending on what ends up on the Bullitt)
Chain: Sachs 8spd
Cranks: AC Forged
Chainrings: Shimano SGX 46,36 (middleburn as shown in photo is gone 48 was too big!!)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN52
Pedals: DX 636
Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic 121
Hubs: Hope Bulb
Tyres: Nokian Gazallodi 2.3 F&R
Tubes: Conti
Saddle: Flite
Seatpost: Generic cheapy
Seatpost Binder: Generic Cheapy

Weight: not light!!

I need to get the wheels built, tyres on and then sort the Hope and Magura which are both in bits but this should make a cheeky wee retro enduro bike that'll double as a nice trail centre or mini dh bike....

Hi Sean

I have a set of new decals I bought in 02 for the Bullitt, but at some point I'll get the Heckler re powdercoated and get some other decals....

This one is a total work in progress and paint / decals are a long way down the list, still need bars, stem and wheels building before I can ride it...

I still need to finalise the spec including the Z1 or Judy DH conundrum....

Back