Weight Watching - Worthwhile Worrying?

I'm a firm believer in the Bontrager strong/light/cheap, choose any two philosophy. Unfortunately it means I've abandoned cheap....

Have to agree with that sentiment.

I also hear come complaining that light bikes are skittish as well.

Never experienced that. Less compliant frames perhaps, but shove a two kilo weight on the front and they would not drastically change.

My view on tools, tubes, pumps, water; I carry it all in a camelback. with the weight on me, I find it deadens the bike less... It has nothing to do with spoiling the clean lines of the bike... Honest.

:facepalm:

So if you have carry weight, bike or body? Thoughts please....... I reckon my bike weighs around a lot less than I do.

I think weight on body rather than bike. It's essentially 'sprung' as opposed to 'unsprung' weight, and it really does make a hell of a difference.

Unless you're in training, in which case you should fill your innertubes with water; that'll give you a workout! :LOL: :LOL:

Too light a bike on top of a mountain with a cross wind aint no :LOL: matter. I would'nt want titanium forks if they performed like fudge.

konatime":l3z7a9lx said:
Too light a bike on top of a mountain with a cross wind aint no :LOL: matter. I would'nt want titanium forks if they performed like fudge.

I'm tempted to put that as a quote in my signature: it has an almost zen like air of profundity.

What is the best weight for a mountain-top cross wind? (I know - if I have to ask, then I need to climb the mountain again and be as one with the wind.)

doctor-bond":3k8851xl said:
konatime":3k8851xl said:

I'm tempted to put that as a quote in my signature: it has an almost zen like air of profundity.

What is the best weight for a mountain-top cross wind? (I know - if I have to ask, then I need to climb the mountain again and be as one with the wind.)

I've not a clue to be honest Doc...but i'm guessing the known frame builder who was articulating on the difference between his personal bikes knew well enough...an ex pro added to the lightness dilema by adding 'my partner was mad for too light, his front fork went west on that descent, turned into an air ambulance scene on a sunday afternoon'.

Bit of a double edged sword. Mother-in-law bringing scales on Monday and staying for a couple of days. Sending her weight lifting by the canal on Tuesday. Mice are already throwing themselves on the traps. (Thanks Les and God bless)

Chopper1192":12pj8ge8 said:
I love light bikes, but if 2lbs heavier meant the frame flexes less and my pedal effort is more efficiently transfered to the Tarmac then is probably take the extra 2lbs.

And that's the problem - all things aren't equal, hence there not being a fairly uniform standard for weight, strength and durability for the average bike.

I am quite certain that my Ti Xizang is not as efficient with my input as my Zaskar is, on tarmac. When the Zaskar would be punishing off road the Xizang glides and you can keep pedalling. All things are not equal and a lot of the Xizangs issue maybe the ultra bendy 25mm Ti USE seatpost.

I that picture, 36lbs (with a full bottle) easily.

Back