What would you do ????

kirbdug

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi there

I'm selling a couple of bikes in the for sale section
I have someone interested who has just joined. They have pm'ed me but have no posts
What do I do
1. Take PayPal payment send bike and hope they don't reverse payment
2. Get them to send a cheque

Any help will be appreciated

Kirbdug :D

Paypal goods is fine. That way you're both protected since you don't know each other. But ask the seller beforehand that you want to ship AFTER the funds have cleared into your bank account. Send the bike via a trackable service. Hope for the best. You could go with paypal gift, but if I was the buyer, I might politely decline.

I don't see what difference a few posts, lots of posts or no posts makes tbh.

It's the internet, it's someone you don't know, protect yourself appropriately. That goes equally for the buyer btw, he doesn't know you either.

What protection does the buyer have if he pays gift?

Either accept payment in a way that protects both of you or tell him you don't trust him.

I think you have to assume the worst could happen, as long as you tell the buyer its nothing personal they should take it in the right way. Especially as its not just a couple of quid.

PeteC":24pxplet said:
Paypal goods is fine. That way you're both protected since you don't know each other. But ask the seller beforehand that you want to ship AFTER the funds have cleared into your bank account. Send the bike via a trackable service. Hope for the best. You could go with paypal gift, but if I was the buyer, I might politely decline.

How does transfurring the Paypal payment into your bank account help? PayPal will still take it back if they want.

Rampage":26q5fxrt said:
PeteC":26q5fxrt said:

How does transfurring the Paypal payment into your bank account help? PayPal will still take it back if they want.

Transfer? ;) First, it ensures the money was actually legit to begin with; I'm aware of at least one scam where a fake paypal payment was made and it appeared to be in the seller's online account, only it wasn't in the seller's account at all. There was some re-routing going on...not too familiar with the rest of the details, it wasn't me. Any ways, he shipped the parts, unpaid. Second, paypal can't simply 'take it back if they want'. There needs to be evidence that the seller didn't ship the item, that the item wasn't as stated, or that some other form of fraud occurred on behalf of the seller. I don't love paypal, but if it was that easy to swindle legit sellers, I don't think they'd be in business for long. That's why I also said the seller should send it via a trackable source, and take pics of the bike boxed up for good measure. I've sold a bike or 30 online...never had a single transaction go wrong. Or just don't sell it to him.

Back