Something from Nothing aka Project recycled

photoman125

Dirt Disciple
My so called friends and family have challenged me to rebuild a touring bicycle, then train and use it for my solo Butlins or Bust Charity Ride for Rainbows Children's Hospice.
Not much of a challenge you think but as I run a recycled bicycle scheme I have to do it with no money being spent, just using whatever is in the parts shed or on spares bikes.
End result will be carrying me 310 miles over 3 days. My wallet has been taken, phone confiscated and Carlton Corsair locked away.
The 'victim' bike is an unidentified make given to me by somebody. More news and photos as I progress
Picture048-1_zpsb4a4b4bf.jpg

To be honest the photos lie, it's not in as good condition as you first think :). Just stripped off the frame and cleaning and tcutting the paint as been some home paint repairs so hoping they blend in together.
Now should the All Britain tour stickers stay or go?

Well under the rough paint, the forks are chrome some has come off but there's enough left to make it worth while taking the paint off, polishing and I have just enough lacquer left to protect them. Should look better than the rubbish chrome 'effect' paint with runs in it

Most of one side of the fork is now stripped, you may be able to see where the chrome stops about 3/4 of the way up. Now because I can only use what ever is in the workshop I have 3 choices. I can leave the whole fork in chrome/metal and just clear laquer it. Choice 2 is I have some black spray which I could do the top quarter in. Choice 3 is painting the top 1/4 in a bright red paint. What would you do?
Picture056_zps97a7be7d.jpg

Go for black at the top 1/4 of the fork.
As it for a good cause pm your address and i will post you some bar tape FOC.
If you need brake blocks again 4 supplied foc.
perhaps some toe clips ? again i will post some foc.
tell me what you need.

bagpuss":3bqnchg6 said:
Go for black at the top 1/4 of the fork.
As it for a good cause pm your address and i will post you some bar tape FOC.
If you need brake blocks again 4 supplied foc.
perhaps some toe clips ? again i will post some foc.
tell me what you need.
Thanks Bagpuss, pm sent, really appreciate it

I would like to thank Paul for his generosity and kindness in not only giving me parts free to keep the rebuild costing nothing but he also took time to ride over and deliver them personally :)

Just a quick update, not really had time to do anything on the bike. I should get a lot more done this week. I need to get a Hurret Sachs front derralieur to match the rear. Apart from that I'm ready to rebuild :)

Back