We need a new Government warning/advice ad' too in the UK!

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
This is good for the Irish bikers and to make motorists aware of our problems on the road.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/irish- ... sts/014576

Two years ago I sent letter after letter to the Government asking for a warning advert to be shown on UK television
after some ten letters about thirty emails, I eventually got a reply from them and it wasn't good news as they told
me they have no intentions to make any such 'new' advert to make motorists aware of the dangers of the road.

This is the old 70's-80's advert which I also showed and they said they were unaware of the film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0VEVVta ... XZszsQn0BQ

Ian.

Re: We need a new Government warning/advice ad' too in the U

Great advert - especially as it mentions 'dooring'. I would've changed some of the language though - saying 'cyclists may use the centre of the road when turning right' could've been 'cyclists have the right to use all of the lane, so take extra care when cyclists are turning' or something like that.

It doesn't mention riding in primary position, which is a big omission. Perhaps not so relevant in rural Ireland compared to central London, though.

I am somewhat concerned about strange grin that the female gives the driver before she turns right. It appears to me that the smile is one of 'you mess with me and i will shoot you' - that type of confidence.

I could be wrong.

Anyone seen my coat ...

TGR":3p248lnj said:
I am somewhat concerned about strange grin that the female gives the driver before she turns right. It appears to me that the smile is one of 'you mess with me and i will shoot you' - that type of confidence.
I could be wrong.Anyone seen my coat ...

More like I have an Hand-Grenade where my water bottle should be :shock:

I'll get my coat too........

Deffinately either need a TV ad or even roadside advertisement campaign, In sheffield the drivers are in their own poluted bubble half the time and It's deffinately a minus, that and the shocking road surfaces.

I'd rather see a campaign to clamp down hard on mobile use, especially texting and emailing at the wheel.

Montello":2farj4aw said:
I'd rather see a campaign to clamp down hard on mobile use, especially texting and emailing at the wheel.
That too Matey. That too!

The thing is if motorists see such adverts on the TV and see advice given by the Government maybe just maybe
they might just think cutting up a cyclist just because they don't pay VED is wrong, so their attitude may change.

How many car drivers do you see who do not stick to speed limits? These sort of people have no regard to safety
to others and themselves as to why there are speed limits in the first place.

Not so long ago I was chatting to a Learner Driver and he says the speed limits ONLY apply to learners!! Like WTF!!

Um,

On my Speed Awareness Course the instructor mentioned an older lady who had been caught travelling at over 100mph in the fast lane on the motorway - when stopped by the Police she said that she thought there was no speed limit in that lane. How she got on the SAC, i have no idea, but i did wonder about what someone like this would be like driving around town in her Audi TT - a scarey thought.

Oh, i should add that Volvo jeep drivers are now the worst and not Audi drivers.

Thanks all,

Richard - who now keeps to the speed limits

I've always been a bugger for doing 5mph less on all speed limits and on minor side-roads i'm never above 15mph,
Too many pedestrians & kids on scooters who feel the need to jump on the road when they please.

My Son is always telling me I drive like an old bloke, always tell him theres a time and a place for any such speeding.

I just wished other drivers would see the dangers ahead of them and to the side of them and drive more carefully. :(

I was on a main road - clear vision for at least 1/2 mile and doing 71mph - limit was 60mph and i still would argue that i was safe. In town, i agree with you Ian.

Richard

Back