My stable of old steel

I love the Look KG86 (I seem to be one of few). I've got the same one, only mine has no original decals. It was rebranded by a local builder in Friesland, the Netherlands and is nearly as new. I'm thingking of remanufacturing a set of decals, I just need some good original examples. Could you post some detail photos of the decals on the down tube? I've heard that both sides are in different languages, English on the right and French on the left?

Love the '84 AA-Special too, stunning bike. There's something about the 80's Champion Mondial frames.

Thanks.

Gazelle A-frame 1978

A new addition. I start liking the less commonly restored, medium price level bikes more and more!

Gazelle Champion Mondial E.2 Standaard (A-frame) - 1978
Goudgeel (golden yellow), Reynolds 531

I built this bike to match the specifications of the E.2 Standaard in the 1978 Gazelle catalog. The frame is in excellent shape with hardly any paint chips. Some of the original parts such as the SunTour Vx and 7 derailleurs including the original shifters, the Sugino Mighty Competition Blackline crankset and the MKS Quill-2K pedals were still on the bike as I bought it at Bikes to Remember.

The rest of the parts have been collected to reflect the original specifications in the brochure. The unusual Speeder Road Champion headset - a Tange Levin under a different brand name - came from another Gazelle. The Weinmann 605 brakes and levers were in quite a bad shape when I bought them cheap on eBay but came out really nice after cleaning, sanding and polishing. A definite advantage of non-anodised parts! I also found a pair of Weinmann gum hoods in decent shape. These have become pretty rare by now. The wheels are built from Gian Robert hubs - that proved far less common than the brand's derailleurs - and Super Champion Competition Route tubular rims. The 140mm 3ttt Record stem is a recent purchase at the 2013 'Stalen Ros' show and still wears the original price tag in Dutch Guilders! Apart from the stem and toe clips, no other NOS parts were used.

The seatpost is not yet the original spec SR Custom Melt Forging post but a different type from the same brand. The material of the melt forging posts is apparently so soft that all that I have (seen) so far bear unsightly deep scratches...

Very nice! I remember them new in the shop back in the day!! They still look great!! My favourite bikes are Dutch bikes, slowly starting to build a collection up again of bikes I used to have/ want.... :D

Hi,

I have a couple of Gazelles - an A Frame from 1976 (i think) -

IMGP2397_zps9bdc5682.jpg

(more pics here - http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/TGR15 ... 6752190917)

and i am wondering about what parts should be on it - i have not been able to locate the brochure so any info would be appreciated.

I also have an AB Frame which is dated around 1989 -

IMGP1856.jpg

More pics - http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/TGR15 ... 7090815914

I have been advised that Ultegra may be the way to go withi this one.

You have a fantastic collection of Gazelles - is the collection noun a fleet or a herd?

Happy Easter,

Richard

Back