Tips on cable cutting please

PopsTrippin

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi... What's the consensus on neat outer cable cutting nowadays? Got myself some of that there Shimano 6mm heavy duty SLR cabling to trim down and want to get it right first time.

Are you fella's hacksawing or using cable snips?

Also does anyone know where to get suitable ferrules? bearing in mind they might be tight in the cable guide.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Good quality cable cutters - park etc are good, but spend decent money in the likes of b&q and you will get good quality ones. Short sharp cut and they will cut cleanly. Done plenty with my JCB cutters, nice job each time. Ferrules from crc work just fine.

If you solder the cable prior to cutting you keep the nice, unfraying end that the cables come with from the shop. Which is really handy if you ever need to rethread it through outer cable.

...except it says 'outer' cable ;)

+1 for the cable cutters, and lots of decent ferrules on eBay for not a lot of money (though I like the Jagwire sealed ends...) :cool:

My personal method
Dremel with Diamond Cutting Disc stright through, then using the flat edge to grind it back to the dead flat (or angle if required). Very quick to do.
diamond-cutting-disk-dremel-topazzatech-1212-11-topazzatech@2.jpg

Then the pointy end of a wooden skewer in the end and wobble it around to widen the inner lining to give smooth entry.
images

(images random from google image search)

Haha Dremel it is then - loving the handiwork WD, I didn't think of paring off the last few mm to get the ferrule on. Brilliant :D

Thanks everyone.

Cut the sheathing 'slightly' shorter than the depth of the cap - it will compress a little and give a real neat joint :

DSC06691.jpg

WD :D

I have always found a good set of snips just fine then a bit of smoothing off with a fine file...

Latest posts

Back