My 92 Marin Pine Mountain project (56k beware!)

Jack Hardcore

Dirt Disciple
Bought this bike on Ebay a few weeks ago for £15

Came with frame (92 Marin Pine Mountain) Rockstar forks, XT hubs on Mavic Rims, XT front and rear mech's, XT chainset, crappy seat, post & stem and a few other bits and bobs.

Looking a bit sorry for itself here:

original.jpg

Somebody decided to paint it with hammerite at some point in its life so I set about it yesterday with the nitro-mors paint stripper and uncovered this strange rust pattern all over the frame ... is this normal for a steel frame??? :?

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

Got most of it done just the downtube to go :)

stripped.jpg

I will be building it to mostly XT spec, got these little bonus parts from a chap on Ebay cheap ;)

levers.jpg

shifters.jpg

headset.jpg

frontmech.jpg

rearmech.jpg

Once the frame is prepped im going to pop down to the local powder coating place and see if they can match this as much as possible

pinemountain.jpg

Anyone got any idea what font the Marin lettrering etc is done in so I can make a template to spray on the logo once powder coated? any advice/experience greatly appreciated :D

Thanks

Great project bike that, looking forward to seeing the end result!!! :)

Ah back when Marin where cool! I used to lust over the poine moutain and eldridge grade because they were just out of reach of what I could afford. First proper bike was a palisades trail from the same era with neon yellow detailing.

Thanks for the comments guys ...

RESULT - just called the Marin dist for the uk (ATB Cycles) and they have some original sticker kits left and I can order them through any local Marin dealer!!! :LOL:

Delighted about that as this was going to be a real pain in the rear to try and get the detailing looking good without the correct stickers!

That is cool...I tried to get some original Kona decals for my 1996 Hei Hei, but unfortunately they only had a mix match left.

The stoopid thing was, I only peeled off the old ones a few months earlier...what a dink! :cry:

Rich

Nice project. Good to see someone start from scratch and put the work in. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Gil can do high quality repros of decals.

I do like the idea of restoring it to its original glory :)

I doubt whether that rust patern its 'common' for steel frames, but it is not the first time I see it. The nice S-works M2 I acquired a month ago came with a fork that must look like this under the paint. Paint does look and feel a tad bumpy. I think for clearcoated frames rust like that will be most nasty: 1st because one does not notice paintdamage easily and 2nd because the rust will be visible

- Melvin

Just a quick update!

Spent a few hours today stripping all the old paint and sanding off the entire frame with wet & dry to get rid of all the rust in prep for going to get powder coated next week:D

strippedandsanded.jpg

Took AGES but I think the work will be worth it in the end!

Also cleaned yup the XT cranks and had a go at them with the wet & dry too, have come up looking much better than they were before (were VERY scratched etc)

cranks.jpg

I think they look good, all comments and suggestions welcome as always :D

Back