IT LIVES!! Rebuilt Orange E4

What you think of decals?
Would love a set of pace on there tbh rigid or sus.
All the gears are smooth as, ive never used xtr b4.
Got an original orange ano stem coming to replace kore thats seen better days.Also cheers for all the bits at good price and fast dispatch,right im off out for a blast on the beast ;)

That's looking good. Worth a thread of its own really, but I guess Cherrybomb won't mind you hijacking his, especially as he seems to be MIA these days.

It might be worth mentioning that this is a 1998 E4, which mickyc has painted in something close to the 1999 colour, and I must admit it is a nicer colour than the original. Micky's original pictures of the frame as he bought it show that it had faded a long way from its original almost red colour.

We eventually established that Cherrybomb's frame is actually a 1999 E4, not 98 as he thought. It had lost its down and top tube decals as most of them did, so he replaced the DT with a random one that he liked and got hold of an authentic top tube E4 from Orange (just before they chucked the rest of their old stock in the bin!)

Laurence's bike is also a 99 E4, and is the only one on here that has its original paint and decals, all perfect and beautifully preserved. I don't know how he does it.

I seem to be the only one here with a 98 E4 with its original red paint, see work in progress below. I didn't inherit any DT and TT decals, but Gil_M made me a good sheet of close approximations, which I haven't got round to applying yet. Every one is good except for the head tube which he couldn't replicate, but I still have the original so it didn't matter to me. If you want the E4 decal, he is your man, and as far as I am aware he is the only man.

Those Easton decals aren't quite correct, but better than nothing. Incidentally, the E4 was the first Orange to be made of Easton Elite or any Easton tubeset, even though the Elite name and the E series had been going since 1992. It's just a coincidence I think that they are both called Elite, as Orange used the name Aluminium Elite for a new model in commemoration of the Aluminium O having won the National Points Series Elite category in 1991.

As you can see, the main differences between the 98 and 99 frames are the colour, the decals, the dropouts, the boss for an E-fit front mech and the details of the head tube welds. As you have noticed, they both have rear brake cable routing for Maguras, rather than V-stops. You can get round this with full-length cable-routing as you and Laurence have done, but alternatively you can fit converters to make the guides into stops. You can get posh ones like Cherrybomb, but my LBS swapped me two old rear mech barrel adjusters for a four-bar Kitkat, and they do the job just as well. Perhaps best of all though, fit Maguras?

Attachments

• 1998 Orange E4 decals Gil Montague.JPG
    1998 Orange E4 decals Gil Montague.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,100
  • 1998 Orange E4 size 17.jpg
    1998 Orange E4 size 17.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,100
Got an original orange stem on its way in the redish orange/black...ill see what it looks like on mine,otherwise you can have dibs on it.
Cheers for the informative post...i have also got an E-type XT front mech perfect for your build....it wouldnt fit on mine because of my 46 tooth outer ring.Also where do i fing these cable stops? link meh ;) cos it doesnt look quite right the way it is with outer cable right thru also makes the rear v brake a little stiff cos of the tight bends.
cheers...ill update my pics when i got the bar/stem situation sorted...still think some pace gotta go on the front ;)

Also wouldnt mind some of those decals.....could only use the E4 badges tho as ive already stuck the other on.

Hello I have one of these bikes and am looking to sell how much should I be looking for? was given to me by my sisters ex
Thanks

Hello some photos I have resized

Attachments

• P3280004.JPG
    P3280004.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 234
  • P3280005.JPG
    P3280005.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 232
  • P3280006.JPG
    P3280006.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 230