Weight Watching - Worthwhile Worrying?

Chopper1192":2r9jlusu said:
Joined the 500lb club for dead this very week. My best in the squat is 880, but never been able to get within 40 of that again since that day. A fairly humble 420 for the bench press, though I can do a touch more in the decline position. Broke my elbow quite badly a few years back and its a mess of titanium and mangled nerves so I have problems with the press and sometimes the jerk.

I know (vaguely) Josh Thigpen, an American WSM semi finalist.
All decent numbers, but your dead sounds light compared with squats - there a bit of a story behind that?

Very wise, allen keys, thin screwdriver, (or multitool) loads of puncture patches and a light spare inner tube. 3x tyre levers and a pump and some quick fix chain link spares.
Is about what I carry, but in a small rucksack when out on a ride.
Oh and some coins in a bag just in case they are needed.
Taking a full toolkit can be overkill.
Possibly take an 8mm Allen key for chain set, small thin 10mm spanner for canti brakes and similar for any parts you've recently put on the bike until you are confident it's fine.
The History Man":3g0o7av8 said:
I'm liking the weightlifting slant on a thread about weight!
I do not have the luxury of having more than one bike and will be using my FS for anything and everything as my dear wife can count. Have just picked up a fairly hefty(by modern standards saddle bag which will be permanently attached and filled with kit. Is this an unnecessary precaution or good sense as I could be faced with a long walk!

P.s.
One thing that should never be underestimated with heavy compared to light bikes.
One is much much less painful to get over stiles, fences, gates, carry up a steep hill....

Neil":jmirriyk said:
Chopper1192":jmirriyk said:
Joined the 500lb club for dead this very week. My best in the squat is 880, but never been able to get within 40 of that again since that day. A fairly humble 420 for the bench press, though I can do a touch more in the decline position. Broke my elbow quite badly a few years back and its a mess of titanium and mangled nerves so I have problems with the press and sometimes the jerk.

I know (vaguely) Josh Thigpen, an American WSM semi finalist.
All decent numbers, but your dead sounds light compared with squats - there a bit of a story behind that?
A long torso goes against me a bit on the dead lift, beefy legs honed by nearly 40 years of cycling play well in my favour on the squat.

My dicky arm can affect my grip a bit as well, and I don't lift with straps as some organisations don't allow them in competition

:?: As an example of weight v practicality, this is today's configuration. Just got back. Note mudguard, crud catcher, water bottle, saddle bag containing spare tube and repair kit plus multi tool. I also carry a short pump in my pocket (or are you just pleased to see me?) mobile phone and often a camera as today. Also must sort out some sort of all encompassing I.D. in case i get knocked off or have a heart attack! Any ideas?

So, a practical set up. Remember this is my only bike. So anything you would change/add/remove? I don't see any weight problem but????

Ok, how much do you think my bike weighs as is? Let's see how good you all are out there :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen:

Attachments

• compressed 28mar.jpg
    compressed 28mar.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 164
The History Man":gu4dv5sd said:
Aluminium frame..........all good quality shimano full water bottle :)

Ok...26lbs with the water bottle! Is it carbonated water as that helps with the weight! :LOL:

Back