Forgetting you are an experienced cyclist for a mo...

Gravy Monster":1zi9fk32 said:
legrandefromage":1zi9fk32 said:
Feel free to add some more and change the names of the services if you think they are too cheesy.

Not cheesy enough ! Not sure on prices but couldn't resist the opportunity :LOL:

Full service 'Double Gloucester service'? (EVERYTHING - full strip down, parts replaced as required)

Partial service 'Parmesan service'? (a near rebuild - parts replaced as required, could lead to a Double Gloucester service if required)

Minor service 'Dairlylea service'? (brakes & gears checked, bolts checked, tyres pumped up)

Cheers

GM :cool:

What, no Ilchester in there? ;)

Much of the above work I'd take on myself rather than get the LBS to do it so have no real feeling for a ballpark charge, but I'm fairly useless at wheel truing and would use a professional for that - going rate for sorting a buckled wheel in both of my main local shops is about 10-12 quid IIRC

Other jobs I don't have the skills/tools for that I've had done in recent months by proper mechanics and which might be worth dropping in to your list:

Wheel build - £25 per wheel for labour, spokes extra with cost depending on type the customer specifies (typically another £25 per wheel for d/b stainless)
Cartridge hub bearing replacement - £20 for front, £40 for rear

David

Gravy Monster":1ajbxnwr said:
legrandefromage":1ajbxnwr said:
Feel free to add some more and change the names of the services if you think they are too cheesy.

Not cheesy enough ! Not sure on prices but couldn't resist the opportunity :LOL:

Full service 'Double Gloucester service'? (EVERYTHING - full strip down, parts replaced as required)

Partial service 'Parmesan service'? (a near rebuild - parts replaced as required, could lead to a Double Gloucester service if required)

Minor service 'Dairlylea service'? (brakes & gears checked, bolts checked, tyres pumped up)

Cheers

GM :cool:

And if you offer the Tesco/Asda rebuild - Stinking Bishop seems to fit. :)

More constructively - I'd think about splitting the gold service, or at least qualifying it - parts excluded, and maybe a different for a full suss - just lots more stuff to have to deal with - stuck pivot bolts etc.

On prices Widowmakers seem about right.

Funny you should post this, I was thinking about something similar the other day as a way to make some money while I'm away cycle touring (when I get around to it) I was planning on taking a selection of tools with me and doing repairs road side in different cities.

No idea on pricing, sorry. Cycling seems as popular as ever with public transport being so expensive. Reading around on different forums , most, shockingly don't know the very basics of maintaining their bikes.

Think you're on to a winner here!

You could make a lot of money just fixing punctures, it amazes me how many cyclists new or established cant do this :shock:

FluffyChicken":2kik1g8z said:
they also have a 'build a BSO service from Tesco/Asda/..'

Blimey. He's a glutton for punishment. I think I'd rather pull my own fingernails out ;)

Thinking about it - I am steering well clear of knackered full sussers. I can just see it now ' You need a new set of bearings as there is play in all but one - ahh, the frame is scrap, you have a crack, just there... see it?'

Just the basics for now. Loads of roadies around here and a few tourer/ leisure riders.

You probably wouldn't see too many BSOs, because if you charge £50.00 or more for a full service, the uninformed would likely see that as too expensive and just buy another new BSO for £100.00.

Looking at some of the times quoted on one of the earlier links: http://www.bicyclerepair.co.uk/price-list.htm, I don't think I could do a full rebuild in 2h 30mins. I've stripped, cleaned and re-built a couple of bikes for friends, it took me about 8 hours. :shock:

Basic service/safety check-MTB £12 - £20
Basic service/safety check-Other £12 - £18
Full service-MTB (Excluding suspension) £65
Full service- Other £55
Fit new forks £15 - £25
Fit new headset £15 - £20
Fit new B.B £12 - £20
Set up brakes (rim type) £8 - £15
Set up brakes (Magura rim) £15 - £25
Set up disc brakes £10 - £35
Set up gears (inc. hanger check) £8 - £18
True wheel £5 - £16
Rebuild wheel onto your hub £20 - £30
Build wheel (all new parts) £20
Build wheel (all parts purchased at Summit) £14
Service hub (rear) £10 - £16
Replace cassette £4 - £6
Replace freewheel £4 - £10
Replace crank thread £25
Face bb shell or headtube £25
Re-cut BB thread £15 - £20
Remove seized seatpost £30 - £50
Disc brake caliper seal maintenance £12 - £15
Disc brake bleed £12 - £20
Fox Fork Wiper seal maintenance £12
Fox Air shock Air can service £16
Bike wash (If cleaning is required prior to work) £6
Tyre disposal charge (per tyre) 65p

velomaniac":3fws2h28 said:
You could make a lot of money just fixing punctures, it amazes me how many cyclists new or established cant do this :shock:

+1 for that I have had 3 work buddies say my bike is broken something wrong with one of the wheels....that turns out just to be a puncture! (I point them in the direction of a £3.45 Asda innertube!)

Back