Weight Watching - Worthwhile Worrying?

:D ....i was on my 8500, i needed discs for all of the corners at the bottom of the descents that i overcooked!.....i did my recce lap on my klein though, and got loads of positive comments!....

feetabix":15nciz4a said:
:D ....i was on my 8500, i needed discs for all of the corners at the bottom of the descents that i overcooked!.....i did my recce lap on my klein though, and got loads of positive comments!....

Would love to try something like that, done a few road events but nothing off road :)

just do it.....its a real laugh!!....i did a 10k time trial on a retro mtb with slicks the following weekend.....didnt have a gear beyond 30mph and took loads of (lighthearted) stick, but i remember it to this day....

The weight of the rider is not relevant
A lightweight hardtail bike with light drive train and specifically wheel set is a joy to ride
Agile and fast accelerating its like have another 50hp under the bonnet of your car
I have no bottle or tool kit on my bike to keep the weight down to where it should be and it shows

Try borrowing a 21lb bike for an hour and see how you go :D

But if you're riding for fitness does a light bike lessen the benefit? How does one balance this with the desire to fiddle and fettle, to personalise and improve the look of the bike?

Since getting my new love I am constantly trawling for bits to 'improve' it. Weight will probably increase especially if I want to carry tool kit and tube etc as I gather tyres are a lot thinner than in my day and could leave me stranded? Other tan that I've been making the bike fit me with an eye on the aesthetic and have only just thought about the weight issue.

Chopper1192":3sd8s5as said:
Being a competing power lifter I'm 250lbs
What's your dead and squat numbers?

Oh go on, you can include bench if you like...

The History Man":2hvv5ba0 said:
But if you're riding for fitness does a light bike lessen the benefit? How does one balance this with the desire to fiddle and fettle, to personalise and improve the look of the bike?

Since getting my new love I am constantly trawling for bits to 'improve' it. Weight will probably increase especially if I want to carry tool kit and tube etc as I gather tyres are a lot thinner than in my day and could leave me stranded? Other tan that I've been making the bike fit me with an eye on the aesthetic and have only just thought about the weight issue.
I see your point but it often happens you ride faster/harder on a light bike than a full susser so end up more knackered
Hence better training :)

Joined the 500lb club for dead this very week. My best in the squat is 880, but never been able to get within 40 of that again since that day. A fairly humble 420 for the bench press, though I can do a touch more in the decline position. Broke my elbow quite badly a few years back and its a mess of titanium and mangled nerves so I have problems with the press and sometimes the jerk.

I know (vaguely) Josh Thigpen, an American WSM semi finalist.

I'm liking the weightlifting slant on a thread about weight!
I do not have the luxury of having more than one bike and will be using my FS for anything and everything as my dear wife can count. Have just picked up a fairly hefty(by modern standards saddle bag which will be permanently attached and filled with kit. Is this an unnecessary precaution or good sense as I could be faced with a long walk!

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!wsE9suw))7vBRPPoguSQg~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16F,!wsE9suw))7vBRPPoguSQg~~60_12.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 207
Back