rBoTM March 2013 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my Mercian King of Mercia Road from circa 1980. I have owned the bike since I raced as a Schoolboy back in the early 1980's and I eventually decided to revive it again last year.

A link to some more photos including ones of me racing on the Mercian BITD can be found in my Readers Bikes topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=229368

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 1,384
  • aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 1,288
Peter's 1984 "HUCKSTEPP"

Now that my resto on my custom built bike is finished I think its time to throw my hat or better still bike,into the running.I made the bike in 1984 on the lines of the Alan frames, the lugs are fully machined from 6061 aluminium and the tubes are 2024-t3 aluminium with the joints bonded with 620 loctite.The groupset that is on the bike now is Dura ace 7400 STI. After almost 30 years of racing and training it needed a restoration so last year started with collecting some NOS or as near to NOS that I could find on ebay.the project has come out very nice and now its time to start riding it again.

Groupset- Dura ace 7400 STI (1991)
Rims- Mavic Open Pro
Tyres- Michelin Pro 4
Stem- Cinelli AX
Bar- Cinelli Giro D'Italia
Sadle- Stella italia Rolls
Bar tape- Cinelli
pedals- Look P66

Hope you like my bike,Regards Peter.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=158607

Attachments

• crop 1.JPG small.JPG
    crop 1.JPG small.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,310
  • DSC02494.JPG small.JPG
    DSC02494.JPG small.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,310
I have never been a great fan of Mercian but the King of Mercia gets my vote, I would love that bike.
The best I have ever seen. fantastic colour.

ph billet":1coa2yrk said:
Now that my resto on my custom built bike is finished I think its time to throw my hat or better still bike,into the running.I made the bike in 1984 on the lines of the Alan frames, the lugs are fully machined from 6061 aluminium and the tubes are 2024-t3 aluminium with the joints bonded with 620 loctite.The groupset that is on the bike now is Dura ace 7400 STI. After almost 30 years of racing and training it needed a restoration so last year started with collecting some NOS or as near to NOS that I could find on ebay.the project has come out very nice and now its time to start riding it again.

Groupset- Dura ace 7400 STI (1991)
Rims- Mavic Open Pro
Tyres- Michelin Pro 4
Stem- Cinelli AX
Bar- Cinelli Giro D'Italia
Sadle- Stella italia Rolls
Bar tape- Cinelli
pedals- Look P66

Hope you like my bike,Regards Peter.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=158607

The head tube must be less than 72° given that the stem points upward. I take that it has quite a bit of wheel "flop" when you steer. My first frame had the same "error". Made for one of the fastest and most stable descending bikes ever. Most people who have ridden my bike state that it feels "odd" the first time that they ride it. I take the same would hold true with yours too. It is however very easy to get used to and I no longer even notice the difference even if I haven't ridden the bike for some time.

The King does it for me,although I would give my soul collection for the Raleigh.

Difficult to chose between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back