Weight Watching - Worthwhile Worrying?

ibbz":1b6qfw64 said:
The History Man":1b6qfw64 said:
So for retro bike(pre97), what would be considered light fora full suspension, front and normal bike?
Has anybody done better? :?:

interesting

no idea, 23.5lb, 22lb respectively
which should be doable without too much headache, even with a 19/20" steel frame, get a Ti or Alu frame and it should be a doddle

22 should be pretty easy enough with a decent light frame
My dynatech is 24 exactly but it has some solid weighty parts and tyres and I could pretty easily get it down just above 21 Ib without a problem

ibbz":3ibbys5u said:
...I could pretty easily get it down just above 21 Ib without a problem

Do it. :twisted: :twisted:

Font suspension and all the gears at under 22lbs is damn light for a retro machine.

My_Teenage_Self":3p176tiz said:
ibbz":3p176tiz said:
...I could pretty easily get it down just above 21 Ib without a problem

Do it. :twisted: :twisted:

Font suspension and all the gears at under 22lbs is damn light for a retro machine.

:) no no I'm happy at how the MT4 is at 24 lbs, I was just saying it could be reduced pretty easily.
And it's got rigid forks, though not very lightweight mk 1 RC30's.

Well here is my 2 penneth! Think of it like this...would you rather go for a run wearing trainers or a pair of steel toed boots! I too am a weighty rider (16 stone) and I have often pondered on the whole weight saving thing. But I think it does help in some areas...Wheels and dive train in particular, If you can save some weight there it will be easier to get things moving. When I first got a decent set of lightweight wheels it made a world of difference to the ride of my bike. It was just easier to pedal...like as I said before the difference in going for a run in lead boots to bear foot! Then it shouldn't matter on your individual mass, but when you need to get a wheel turning surely it must be easier to turn a lighter wheel...I think it can go a bit far when you are Ti-ing the smallest of bolts etc but I think there are definate benefits to weight saving in some areas. Feel free to disagree but that is what I have found...

Doug "fatman" Wookiee! ;)

most of us could shed a few pounds......most of us have also realised that life is better indulged in ,than denied......i prefer to ride a bike that is more capable than i am, rather than the opposite.......just to post my colours to the mast heres a pic of me in a race a couple of years ago, yes, im old and slightly overweight, but i made an effort.......

2008-9226.jpg

....i enjoy just being a part of it all, the kit i own is great, as are the post race beers and curry.......heres to money into light kit and laughter into middle age!!!..... :D

:LOL: .....p.s..........the guy behind spanked me to the top of the climb, and my brother in law offering me the bottle laughed, i bet most of those watching secretly wished they had had a go!..... i was the one who had the best day... :D

March10008.jpg

....and whilst we are on unneccessary kit, here is my other possesion that i dont really need but enjoyed!!!.... :D

I like a light bike as I'm not capable of riding a heavy one comfortably as I'm a wimpy little thing.

feetabix":2vlo0awa said:
most of us could shed a few pounds......most of us have also realised that life is better indulged in ,than denied......i prefer to ride a bike that is more capable than i am, rather than the opposite.......just to post my colours to the mast heres a pic of me in a race a couple of years ago, yes, im old and slightly overweight, but i made an effort.......

2008-9226.jpg

....i enjoy just being a part of it all, the kit i own is great, as are the post race beers and curry.......heres to money into light kit and laughter into middle age!!!..... :D

What bike were you riding?

Latest posts

Back