Viper Scandium - Weight Weenie build

Re: Viper Scandium Weight Weenie build

Next minor addition - a Ritchey conical headset spacer. Not used one before but very glad I thought of it - for the £2.20 it cost if does an amazing job for the aesthetics of the front end. And only 11g for 15mm of spacer!

Attachments

• Conical spacer.jpg
    Conical spacer.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,501

racefacecannondale":6lin758f said:
I have a surplus Kcnc seat clamp in black if interested. Depending on size

Cheers but I'm actually looking for a KCNC red clamp in 31.8 (I think the model is called SC11)

Tazio":tsyuiet2 said:
What size is the frame? That sounds really heavy for a scandium frame. I've got a scandium Salsa and it comes in 300g lighter than that. And my old Klein Pulse frame is about 100g lighter.

Looks nice though and I'll be very impressed if you reach the target weight with suspension.

Manitous seem to be a fair bit lighter than RS or Fox.
My R7 pro is 1533gms the mars carbon goes between 1260 and 1400grms dependent on model I dont know exactly which model OP has but its on weight weenies forum somewhere.

dyna-ti":15hll9eb said:
Manitous seem to be a fair bit lighter than RS or Fox. My R7 pro is 1533gms the mars carbon goes between 1260 and 1400grms dependent on model I dont know exactly which model OP has but its on weight weenies forum somewhere.

Mine's a Mars C. At least I'm pretty sure it's a "C" - Carbon brace like the Mars CL, but all black rather than the red and black CLs. My set with a 20+cm steerer weighs in at 1347g including a star nut, plus 11g for a set of Ti bosses.

I've had a CL before though wasn't in the best condition - it was about 100g lighter still. I'd consider one for this build if one were to turn up, though to be honest the black lowers with red and white decals of mine matches the Viper frame much better than the bright red CLs would.

dyna-ti":17pukmgf said:
Tazio":17pukmgf said:
What size is the frame? That sounds really heavy for a scandium frame. I've got a scandium Salsa and it comes in 300g lighter than that. And my old Klein Pulse frame is about 100g lighter.

Looks nice though and I'll be very impressed if you reach the target weight with suspension.

Manitous seem to be a fair bit lighter than RS or Fox.
My R7 pro is 1533gms the mars carbon goes between 1260 and 1400grms dependent on model I dont know exactly which model OP has but its on weight weenies forum somewhere.

I've got a set of R7 Pros on my Ala Carte. Nice forks but I'm not convinced the technology on them works in terms of the pop off valve for climbing. They took a while to get dialled in but now I have the pressure I need in each leg they are great.

The Kenda Klimax tyres arrived this morning, and had a lovely weight weenie surprise when they came out at 323g and 324g each - a whole 43g of weight-saving off the expected weight for no extra cost :)

The bike can start to take shape now, just a couple of bits remaining. And with only a couple of the parts left to weigh accurately, I can confirm it's going to be very light! (Spreadsheet coming soon)

Well here we go with the weights. Bike not quite assembled but I've now weighed all the parts exactly so have a total weight. Pretty good for an XC front suspension bike, medium size, with full gears, very smart looking too!

Frame: Viper X.9 Scandium (2007), 1525g inc bosses & headset cups only (other headset parts 49g)
Forks: Manitou Mars C, 1347g inc star nut, plus M8 Titanium bosses 11g
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax SUP Ceramic 1st Gen. Front: 673g, Rear: 873g (inc. rim tapes)
Tyres: Kenda Klimax Lite 1.95 folding, 323g & 324g
Tubes: Schwalbe SV 14A XX-Light 104g & 112g (mfr stated weight 95g)
Chainset: Shimano Deore XT M752 (618g inc M10 fitting bolts), with 4 x red KCNC bolts (saves 5g)
BB: Shimano Deore XT ES71 Octalink 68x113, 248g
Chain: KMC X9-SL chain, 252g inc QuickLink)
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace CS-7700 12-27, 176g
V-Brakes: Avid SD Ti with XTR M950 pad holders and ceramic pads (both 153g)
Brake / Gear Levers: Shimano XTR M960 Dual Control. R 192g, L 206g, Gear indicators 4g/pr (thumb levers not used, 20g/pr)
F/Mech: Shimano Deore XT FD-M750 top swing, 127g
R/Mech: Shimano XTR RD-M960 Rapid Rise, 200g
Seatpost: G.U.B Alloy 27.2 x 350, 190g
Saddle: WTB Shadow V PSL Limited Edition saddle (2006) NiCro Tubular rails, 183g
Stem: Syntace F99 Stem 25.4 x 105mm 102g
Bar: Easton CT2 Carbon flat bar, cut to 555mm, 120g
Headset: Massi Integrated headset (weight included in frame weight)
Headset spacers: Ritchey conical spacer 15mm (11g), red alloy 5mm spacer (5g)
Stem cap & bolt: Kronos CNC alu stem cap in red (9g), Ti bolt (4g)
Grips: Ultra Light NPVC foam grips, 25g plus 2g plastic end caps
Skewers: J&L Titanium red allen skewers, 15g and 17g
Seat clamp: Hope Red Seat clamp, allen bolt, 31.8mm, 19g
Bottle Cage bolts: 4 x Probike alloy red bolts (4 x 1g)
Brake boss bolts: 4 x Probike alloy red bolts: 2 x long ones 6g/pr, 2 x short ones 3g/pr
Brake pipes & boots: 2 x Red alloy brake pipes, 5g each
Gear Inner cables: Rear 14g, front 9g
Gear outer cables: White SIS SP41 w/ 10 x KCNC red ferrules. Fr: 18cm (7g), 37cm (12g). Rear: 36cm (12g), 25cm (9g) & 30cm (10g)
Brake inner cables: Black Jagwire Ripcord black inner cables. Front 9g, Rear 17g
Brake outer cables: White Jagwire Ripcord. Rear: 98cm (38g); Front 30cm (13g)

Total weight excluding pedals is 8.546kg = 18.82lb
Total weight with pedals (Xpedo Mag Ti M- Force 4, 229g) is 8.775kg = 19.32lb

Back