The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
:idea: Been browsing and reading discussions re bike weight and other related issues. Whle out with the dogs today have been thinking. My red alloy azonic 2 1/2 inch riser bars came today and are very light. (Needed to raise bar height as 6'3")see bike as below)) the question is this: why do we worry so much about weight of bike, components, tyres etc when once the thing is built and before we ride off on it, we stick on a half kilo water bottle and a bike bag or rucsac or both.

Bearing in mind I weigh 18st plus, does an extra kilo or two of bike really matter at my level of riding and that of most normal people who ride for fitness/leisure. Surely the lighter the bike the further you have to ride for the same calorific value and fitness benefit?

So, when riding should I be in flip flops and a thong or a deep sea diver's suit? (Metaphorically speaking) and does it matter? :?: or are aesthetics more important?

Or is this all just obsessive behaviour?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,162
It's a conceit that we all are somewhat guilty of. Spend £500 on bike lightening bits to save a few grams rather than a personal trainer to bully the kgs off.

In the real world then improving (and lightening) the engine will give much better results. But most of us love our bikes and can't help buying trinkets for them.

The same reason that, if possible, we'd all drive cars far too powerful for our actual needs... willy waving!

Of course, obsessing about weight is ridiculous, unless you're a top competitor. I don't compete, and my riding now consists of getting out and enjoying the countryside with the wife and Dog. A lighter bike makes riding easier. Taking *reasonable* precautions to ensure your bike isn't a lead weight, to me, is sensible.

I've a long-term project (still!) on the go. A period correct (93ish), front sus, sub 20lb retrobike. I'm doing it to see if it's possible. Weightweenie: why not? Conversely, I've a lovely, largely original, 93 Fire Mountain, that I added weight to with a set of maguras purely based on rideability.

Go figure.

So for retro bike(pre97), what would be considered light fora full suspension, front and normal bike?
Has anybody done better? :?:

Well, I admit, I'm pretty much guilty of initiating plenty of weight whinging here on the forum.

I'm no racer, and biking consists of the countryside, marshes, canals, forests, and having fun.

The main reason I whinge about weight is not because I'm fat, or a weakling, nor is it because I'm a total pratt.
The reason is that I expect more for my money, and If I plan on building a nice Titanium HT, with quality parts, I expect it to be lightweight.
I don't want nor expect it to be heavy, if it is it is defeating the purpose of the Titanium hard Tail - and I should've opted instead for steel or something, or a different type of Bike.
Quality parts geared for such a project tend to be pricey, well built and lightweight.

If I want a downhill bike, I don't expect it to be lightweight, priorities lie elsewhere, and the same goes for a full susser freeride style bike.

Anyway, that's my tithe worth.

The History Man":3czl8236 said:
So for retro bike(pre97), what would be considered light fora full suspension, front and normal bike?
Has anybody done better? :?:

interesting

Back