Old Claud Butler

westie

Retro Newbie
Hi
We found an old Claud Butler road bike in my fathers loft after he passed away. I know absolutely nothing about bikes and was told to contact this site by CB after i emailed them. All I can tell you is it's circa 1954 has number underneath the frame CB 1520
and the badge on the front is CB with the olympic rings. I have added a pic, Could somebody please tell me if this bike is worth selling or letting it go to the scrap man.

Thanks
Peter

Attachments

• IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 308
You might do better in the road bike section.

I can't see it's worth a great deal, £50 to maybe £75 on a nice day, but more to the point its a piece of cycling history and deserves a home with someone who'll appreciate it rather than going to the tip.

Hi and welcome

We do have a dedicated road bike 'how much is worth' thread here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46710

If it really has no sentimental value and you do not wish to carry out any work yourself, there is always a market for this type of bike. Many restore or go the dreaded 'fixie' route.

Try a post here http://www.lfgss.com/ too as they are always up for this sort of thing.

Hi, from memory (so possibly not totally accurate), the CB brand was run by CB himself in South London until 1957. The brand was then sold to the Holdsworthy Company (Crystal Palace I think), which continued to put out excellent frames, with the higher-end models badged as CB. The brand was subsequently sold again in the 1980s to Falcon cycles in Taiwan and goes on mass-produced frames of lower much lower quality.

So, your frame is made by the original CB corporation. These frames were (are) high quality and are still well regarded. Certainly don't let it go the scrap man! It is probably not worth a great deal (£50-£75 sounds about right), but is well worth restoring. As suggested, if you want to get rid of it, an advert on lfgss.com will most likely get you some offers.

Back