WANTED: 27" 1 1/4 track /path wheelset, rear wheel, clincher

luckyskull76

Retro Guru
Hello,
I am marshaling at this years Tweed Run. I would like to look spiffing and aim to build a vintage path/track bike. The one thing i'm missing is a wheelset. The frame is late 50's early 60's Woodrub. It is a little tatty around the edges(a bit like myself), so happy with offers of wheels that are not pristine, but ideally smooth bearings and life on the rim. i will be building it fixed gear, so a fixed / track wheelset with clincher rims is what i am really after.

Anyone have anything to help this young(ish) chap get rolling?

Thank you,
L

Re: WANTED: 27" 1 1/4 track /path wheelset, rear wheel, clin

I have a pair off a Dawes tourer, freewheel fitted. Rims are chrome, were a bit rusty but cleaned up surprisingly well
£25 plus post, I get a pic up if you are interested

thank you for the offer mr B.nut, but i am looking for a wheelset that can take a sprocket and lock-ring as i aim to run the bike fixed..... i don't think it's quite what i'm looking for, unless it has a flip flop hub and can be un-dished?

Ah, I thought you may wish to run it with a screw-on single speed cog, here for about £7 http://velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html
I'm not sure there are many 27 wheels with splined free hubs out there ( is that what you mean? ) don't know too much about the dark side :) ( single speed ! )

join the dark side..... there should be quite a few out in the world. i have seen quite a few over the years, but have always run gears............ the one time you want something, is the one time you cant find it.

Hi L,

I know it’s not too useful as these aren’t for sale (they are destined for my Harry Quinn Track Frame) but just to let you know the stuff is still out there. I recently picked up this Airlite Track Hubbed, Dunlop Super Lightweight Rimmed Wheelset off Ebay for £115…

If you don’t mind non originality, I’ve used these on old bikes and they certainly look the part….

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27-x-1-1-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5d3c8e3665

Steve.

Attachments

• Airlite 1.jpg
    Airlite 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 335
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a splendid wheelset. .......dangling a carrot on a string in front of me..... just out of reach.... ha ha.

I would like to hold out for a vintage set of wheels.

Any pictures of your Harry Quinn build? may help with inspiration.....

This is my frame:
DSC00121-1_zps05ba4024.jpg

Nice looking Frame. By coincidence another one of my projects is a 1975 Emperor Time Trial Frame that has had a re-spray and been rebadged as a Woodrup.

The Harry Quinn build up has not begun yet as I’m still gathering parts for it and, unfortunately, I need to have one of the rear drop-outs repaired as the previous owner tried fitting a wider axled wheel without cold setting the frame resulting in the break shown below!

Attachments

• IMG_0987a.jpg
    IMG_0987a.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0984a.jpg
    IMG_0984a.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 330

wow. what a beauty. love the head-tube lugs. is the pattern cut out or painted on?

Latest posts

Back