RaleighRacer's Carlton Corsair

Lfgss can do strange things to a man ;)

Just think they look less 'old man' than a rear rack. (remember I'm only 20 :p )

just want a box for the front to carry things in. Got some wood, measured, nailed then failed! Cut the wood but joined it wrong so it didn't fit, going to retry sometime soon :D

Raleighracer":1dxcn88i said:
Lfgss can do strange things to a man ;)

Just think they look less 'old man' than a rear rack. (remember I'm only 20 :p )

just want a box for the front to carry things in. Got some wood, measured, nailed then failed! Cut the wood but joined it wrong so it didn't fit, going to retry sometime soon :D

LFGSS - the work of the devil! :twisted: :LOL:

The love of road bikes all sort of stems from there, they have some great tips and some of the builds on there are amazing :shock:

Sometimes there's bargains to, but also massive hipster tax as well :roll: ;)

mudguards and trying out a basket for the front

DSC02846_zps83b833e3.jpg

DSC02847_zps0e9ff845.jpg

I would like some ideas of good 27x1 1/4 tyres please, pretty much has to be amber walls (unless somewhere is selling gatorskins for like £5 :p

Michelin world tour seems a popular choice, but any more worth checking out? Would like some puncture protection :D

Raleighracer":2cpz3f56 said:
I would like some ideas of good 27x1 1/4 tyres please, pretty much has to be amber walls (unless somewhere is selling gatorskins for like £5 :p

Michelin world tour seems a popular choice, but any more worth checking out? Would like some puncture protection :D

Panaracer Pasela are nice.

Nice Corsair restoration. I did similar for a friend of mine.

It had been in a garage a decade or so before I got to work on it.
P1080278.jpg

Came out nice though. Brakes are not suitable for Dales descents!
P1080820AL.jpg

Head tubes always seem rust prone on these but it's worth some T cut and the sacrifice of a fingernail to do something about it!
Headtubebeforeandafter.jpg

Yes - a bit of a gate - I think it's actually about 25.5. Odd geometry on these. My late lamented Dawes Horizon I bought new in 1990 and that was 25 - I'm tall but long legged and now I prefer 23.5 (though the top tube length on these seems not so much shorter than the 25s....).

Anyway, this Carlton had the same top tube length as the Dawes but the top tube height is taller still. My mate who owns it is shorter than me so it is well oversized for him. But of course, it was bought for him when he was a boy and it was the one he liked best in the shop! :LOL:
And it must have been a good three years old at the time so a good result for the shopkeeper!

Odd thing as well is that these Carltons often seem to be large framed.

That's a great restoration, I didn't go into large amounts of cleaning as I wanted to see if the bike was a keeper or a seller :D

Now I know it's a keeper (unless a bob Jackson super tourist or similar turns up, as I'd like 700c and canti's) I will clean it up a little more and get some polish round it :LOL: just need to sell some bikes to clear out the garage for some room :cry:

Back