Caygill Custom Columbus

I have some thinking to do. Its sat in my living room now and looks absolutely gorgeous. The Kona i think is a sentimental thing (i raced on one for 3 years back in the 90's).

Truth is this build cost a lot more than i was anticipating. I think i'll finish it properly and make a decision.

The BB is a little short. Its a 73mm shell but a short axle and the clearance between the chainset and chainstay is tiny, so a new BB will go in. New brake pads, cables and the LX STi are on the way.

I've got some mint mavic rims in the garage (SUP ones) that i can build up onto some NOS hubs if i can find them, but thats long term if i decide to keep it. The rear spacing is 130mm so i guess i could use an 8 speed road hub and a cassette spacer. That would be interesting.

So here are my rims... little used Mavic SUP. Just need some decent hubs then i can build em' up!

DSCF3707.jpg

DSCF3706.jpg

The rear spacing is 130mm so i guess i could use an 8 speed road hub and a cassette spacer. That would be interesting.

It would be easy enough to "cold set" the rear end so that the its 135mm: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html.

As it's only 130mm at the rear and you say it's early 90s, I wonder if should have shorter, non suspension corrected forks with a 390mm axle to crown length.

Nice frame, definately a bit more interesting than a Kilauea in my opinion. :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
xerxes":2u5ih6mm said:
The rear spacing is 130mm so i guess i could use an 8 speed road hub and a cassette spacer. That would be interesting.

It would be easy enough to "cold set" the rear end so that the its 135mm: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html.

As it's only 130mm at the rear and you say it's early 90s, I wonder if should have shorter, non suspension corrected forks with a 390mm axle to crown length.

Nice frame, definately a bit more interesting than a Kilauea in my opinion. :D

Thanks for taking the time to post the link... i've cold set many frames, but never anything of this quality. While the correct parts are obtainable i'll always go down that route.

The frame was originally specced with an early Rockshox fork. Having said that i do think the project twos are a little longer. For the 1/2 degree difference it makes i dont mind.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Lovely! What colour is that ? RAL number?
I do think the frame deserves better forks though; Should really be triple butted P2s at least, or some Ritchey Logics.

Caygill do a solid lettering logo which is rather nice...as on the top version of my frame below and also a calligraphy sylte too, as on the one further down:

8314537660_2844a914f3_o.jpg

Thanks! I can't remember the RAL... 5021? It's sea blue if I remember right. I'd love some better forks but I like the P2 and the budget is already stretched!

LeeDevelopment":23d5vxc7 said:
Caygill do a solid lettering logo which is rather nice...as on the top version of my frame below and also a calligraphy sylte too, as on the one further down:

8314537660_2844a914f3_o.jpg

I didn't know they did such serious metal! Remind me of my old dual slalom bike!

I prefer the solid lettering.

Back