Am I a MAMIL?

scottmac":1dks7h2n said:
To be a MAMIL you need to be associated with one of the following:

1. A brightly coloured Specialized bike with a duff pair of wheels.
2. An expensive helmet.
3. A years membership of Cycling Fitness Magazine.
5. A T-shirt and plastic medal from a 50km sportive.
6. Hairy legs or
7. Shaved legs that look like you've walked through a hedge.
8. No mudguards in wet weather.
9. To ride in black clothing in wet weather.
10. Wear shorts all year round.
11. Not saying "Hello!" to other cyclists whilst on the road.
12. A paunch.
13. Scared of mending a puncture.
14. Can't ride in a straight line.
15. Can't ride safely in a bunch.
16. Can't unclip from your pedals at junctions/lights and fall off.
17. Boast in the office that you did 100km in a sportive at the weekend for charity and you are doing another one next weekend (but it took you 12 hours).
18. Think an Audax is a french cake.
19. Believe Wiggo & Cav have won everything they have ever entered and can't name a British cyclist before them.
20. Think Armstrong hasn't really cheated because he's done a lot of work for charity.
21. A MAMIL's Sunday ride starts at 11am.

Give 'em a year and they'll be back on the golf course, not really knowing what cycling is all about... :?

PHEW!

Looks like I'm just a cyclist after all.

scottmac":2s9afzpf said:

I'm not middle aged just yet but do fall into the above category as I ride 'cross (where mudguards aren't just for wimps but are, IIRC, actually illegal under BC rules & regs*). :?

David

*Although I've still seen the odd CX rider sporting a plastic "whale tail" guard and not getting carpeted by the race officials for it.

David B":2n1zdyjp said:
scottmac":2n1zdyjp said:

I'm not middle aged just yet but do fall into the above category as I ride 'cross (where mudguards aren't just for wimps but are, IIRC, actually illegal under BC rules & regs*). :?

David

*Although I've still seen the odd CX rider sporting a plastic "whale tail" guard and not getting carpeted by the race officials for it.
David, that's an entirely different category as cross is cross. I'm talking about the morons whom by a bike and ride in the most awful weather all year round because they see Cav on the telly with no guards.

I can remember that if you had no guards on a clubrun then you stayed at the back all day with the other divvies.

I passed a crowd the other week in my car. They were all carboned up with the latest gore-tex jackets etc. and not one of them had mudguard.

Why pay £250 on a jacket for it only to be covered in silt/mud/cack etc. :?:

One of them even had shorts on and it was below freezing outside! :shock:

scottmac":3gvzixux said:
David, that's an entirely different category as cross is cross. I'm talking about the morons whom by a bike and ride in the most awful weather all year round because they see Cav on the telly with no guards.

I can remember that if you had no guards on a clubrun then you stayed at the back all day with the other divvies.

Fair do's. There was a time when I used to get relegated to the back on club runs, but only 'cause I could only afford one bike (primarily for TTing on) and it had gnat's-whisker clearances so no chance of fitting any guards.

I know exactly the sort of "cycling is the new golf"/"all the gear, no idea" types you mean, though - some of them are, in the words of a certain Amstrad founder, "a bleedin' liability" and prone to causing club run pile-ups. :(

David

1. A brightly coloured Specialized bike with a duff pair of wheels. Phew
2. An expensive helmet. Phew
3. A years membership of Cycling Fitness Magazine. Phew
5. A T-shirt and plastic medal from a 50km sportive. Phew
6. Hairy legs or Got
7. Shaved legs that look like you've walked through a hedge. nope
8. No mudguards in wet weather. Never!, but I'm an MTBer and getting muddy is what it's about
9. To ride in black clothing in wet weather. Phew
10. Wear shorts all year round. Guilty
11. Not saying "Hello!" to other cyclists whilst on the road. I do that
12. A paunch. Only a little one :oops:
13. Scared of mending a puncture. I can do it, but I prefer to change the tube, while on a ride
14. Can't ride in a straight line. Easy
15. Can't ride safely in a bunch. Easy
16. Can't unclip from your pedals at junctions/lights and fall off. Done that, but not for a while
17. Boast in the office that you did 100km in a sportive at the weekend for charity and you are doing another one next weekend (but it took you 12 hours). Nah, not me
18. Think an Audax is a french cake. Isn't it?
19. Believe Wiggo & Cav have won everything they have ever entered and can't name a British cyclist before them. I can name a few
20. Think Armstrong hasn't really cheated because he's done a lot of work for charity. I always knew he was a cheat
21. A MAMIL's Sunday ride starts at 11am. Shouldn't all rides start at 11?

Give 'em a year and they'll be back on the golf course, not really knowing what cycling is all about... :?

Never played golf in my life!

Pyro Tim":30ezbqnw said:
9. To ride in black clothing in wet weather. Phew
21. A MAMIL's Sunday ride starts at 11am. Shouldn't all rides start at 11?

Come to think of it, wearing white kit in wet weather is an even worse idea! Especially for anyone unfortunate enough to be riding behind you. :oops:

My Sunday training rides are lucky if they begin before lunchtime, but that's what working a 6-day week most of the year does to you. I'm not really a "mornings person" when it comes to weekend club runs....

David

scottmac":1b7r2uc9 said:

2. An expensive helmet.
6. Hairy legs or
12. A paunch.
17. Boast in the office that you did 100km in a sportive at the weekend for charity and you are doing another one next weekend (but it took you 12 hours).
19. Believe Wiggo & Cav have won everything they have ever entered and can't name a British cyclist before them.
20. Think Armstrong hasn't really cheated because he's done a lot of work for charity.

Those aren't rules.

These http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ are rules.

ededwards":3685mrrq said:
scottmac":3685mrrq said:

2. An expensive helmet.
6. Hairy legs or
12. A paunch.

Those aren't rules.

These http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ are rules.

And where would we be if we didn't have any rules? ;)

David

Latest posts

Back