which groupset for vitus 979 in mountains

chrisscammell

Retro Newbie
Hi. I am new to this forum and new to retro road bikes. I live in the Lake District and ride a lot of very steep passes on my Specialized Roubaix Pro.

I have just aquired a Vitus 979 frameset and want to build it up to ride instead of the ugly plastic Roubaix. Unfortunately I know buggar all about componentry and so need some expert advice from you good people on here.

If possible I would like to build it up as a triple (or compact?), to get up 25% climbs, ideally with a groupset from the era of the bike. I think I read somewhere that the Vitus will take up to 8speed cassette. What are the limiting factors when it comes to chainsets for these old frames?

Aesthetically I would like the components to be polished Alu, no black or carbon.

I think I would like Sti shifters rather than downtube for safety reasons.

I look forward to your advice and suggestions.

Chris

I always thought a 979 looked nice in 91 Campagnolo or Athena, those castings just seem to compliment the frame so nicely (check my 992 links below). But after riding these old parts you won't half miss your Roubaix, old Campagnolo 8sp can be hard work esp the calipers. The problem you have is that the 979 is actually a very old frame so fitting period kit might prove disappointing. I can't think of much 1992 kit I could use on my rides.

After living in France for five years and seeing a lot of Vitus builds I do think nothing looks nicer than French components on this frame esp Stronglight cranks, Modolo brakes, Mavic wheels & Simplex gears. Or failing that, go all-out Mavic with starfish crank ooh lala. Most of the 979's I see here are triples due to the Pyrenees, makes for a good looking bike.

vitus_complete_small.jpg

Thanks for that agentorange. With that in mind have you any suggestions for more a modern groupset that I could fit that will be a pleasure to use but still not look too out of place on the lovely frame. What are the limiting factors for fitting more modern groupsets (whilst still avoiding carbon)?

Thanks
Chris

Are you sure you'll get an 8 speed on a 979? If so, then it should also take a 10 but mine (date stamped 1986) will only take a 7 speed as it is 126mm and I wouldn't want to spread a bonded frame. Probably best to look for a triple, you may find a Stronglight 107 (?) in triple format along with similar period MTB rear and front mechs which, in 7 speed, should be compatible with road shifters.

agentorange":2i96pv2r said:
I always thought a 979 looked nice in 91 Campagnolo or Athena, those castings just seem to compliment the frame so nicely (check my 992 links below). But after riding these old parts you won't half miss your Roubaix, old Campagnolo 8sp can be hard work esp the calipers. The problem you have is that the 979 is actually a very old frame so fitting period kit might prove disappointing. I can't think of much 1992 kit I could use on my rides.

After living in France for five years and seeing a lot of Vitus builds I do think nothing looks nicer than French components on this frame esp Stronglight cranks, Modolo brakes, Mavic wheels & Simplex gears. Or failing that, go all-out Mavic with starfish crank ooh lala. Most of the 979's I see here are triples due to the Pyrenees, makes for a good looking bike.

vitus_complete_small.jpg

"Lucho" Herrera's Vitus was usually kitted out with Mavic gear, although his was a carbon job (pretending to be a Mercier!!) rather than an alloy frame.

Personally, if I was going down the all-French route I'd plump for New Success as certain aspects of the design (chiefy the use of steel or Ti bolts rather than those pesky shear-prone Ergal ones; I once got stranded on the moors above Guiseley thanks to a knackered anchor bolt on a 841 rear mech - my other half at the time had to drive out and give me a lift :oops: ) make it more durable than Mavic, if a tad heavier. Mind you, Mavic's "every bit replaceable", circlips-with-everything design philosophy was admirable.

David

I have M730 hub converted to 8speed in the rear of my Alan (same / very similar) and built the rest up with M730 / 735 and bar end shifters.

alan.jpg

it can only be mavic ssc in my book. you'd build a lovely super lightweight
bike with that set up. only trouble is non indexed gears. saying that, we all
rode with them for many years with only the occasional swear word in the
sprint finish!!

:shock:

agentorange":1fes2en7 said:

I couldn't agree more. For some inspiration, what about these?

http://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/432084473.htm?ca=13_s

http://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/426497781.htm?ca=13_s

Back