1989 Freewheel Catalogue

That truly brings back memories - I couldn't quite recall why the Ridgeback bikes seemed so familiar, but I'm there, now.

Too feckin' right. I do believe that I've still got the 88-89 and 89-90 Freewheel catalogues in the storage cupboard along with all of my ancient Campag dealer spec catalogues - I'm just getting a hunger pang to drag them and drool again!

My first was a Ridgeback 602EX with the vivid blue/grey colour scheme, but always lusted after the 604 of the year - which was the full XT gruppo based bike, and the 604/604 the year after. I don't think I ever saw one of either outside of the Freewheel shop in West Hampstead! I am watching a vintage old Ridgeback 601 that it vintage 1988 on Fleabay right now though.

Never did get over someone nicking my Ridgeback from Muswell Hill in '88. However, did go onto to much nicer kit as a result.....

Re:

Hi all, new member here. Just acquired an 80s Revell road bike. Not sure of the model really but its not a Romany or a Ritmo as I believe they were both tourers. I see from Coleman's original catalogue posting that a "Rapide" was included, but sadly not scanned and posted!

I wonder if anyone has info about Revell bikes? I think they were supplied by Madison through the Freewheel Catalogue and a shop in W London. I believe mine is a Rapide.

Pics at https://www.flickr.com/gp/141591263@N05/703BHC

Thanks

Thanks @Coleman for posting this. Brings back great memories. We spent hours and hours reading that Freewheel catalogue at school, drooling over the Deore XT kit and wishing we could afford it..!

Using the the bank of England inflation rate calculator £100 in 1989 is now £246.85.

So you xt chainset is £320.78 and the full groupset £1110.70

Considering you can buy a new xt triple for £160, that makes it £64.81 in 1989....exage cost.

So if you wonder why stuff is crap now....theres your answer. If we were still paying those prices, you would probably get better quality kit!

Using the the bank of England inflation rate calculator £100 in 1989 is now £246.85.

So you xt chainset is £320.78 and the full groupset £1110.70

Considering you can buy a new xt triple for £160, that makes it £64.81 in 1989....exage cost.

So if you wonder why stuff is crap now....theres your answer. If we were still paying those prices, you would probably get better quality kit!
Good point 👍

Deore groupset 1989: £300
Adjusted to inflation: £740
Deore groupset today: £300
Adjusted to inflation:£120 in 1989
Less than an xt crankset

Deore would be more expensive than an sram gx dub groupset ( includes disc brakes as well )

It would be really interesting to know how the manufacturing costs and material specifications have changed.

Late 80’s XT made in Japan - that would have been relatively high labour costs.

I wonder if the quality of metal / plastics used in the newer components is significantly different to the late 80’s.

Back