Vitus 979 / Mavic SSC 1980's

Rich34":tony51wu said:
That really is stunning... Where have you ordered the Mavic stickers from?

Tempted to start looking for a 979 in my size... Must... resist.... :twisted:
Yes stunning is the word !

Hi Latman , I could but I'm sharing these wheels with my Rossin bike, ill get some rims in the summer as I've got got 2 regular cycling friends who are of similar size to me and we will take out my 3 retro bikes, were going out to smash the hills with our 42x21's and slipping gears! It'll be ace!

Love that build. The 979 is a classic, and Sean Kelly one of the greatest. Might have to get on You Tube now and watch the end of the 1984 (I think) Paris Roubaix which he won!!

Final pictures, I fitted the Mavic transfers and the bottle cage from images of Kelly's bike, I had plenty to look at in an old book I have called "Sean Kelly A Man for all Seasons". I'm currently looking at getting a KAS bottle and I'll build the Mavic hubs onto some rims later this year and also get a Mavic BB when finances allow.

Attachments

• 979 final finish top front.jpg
    979 final finish top front.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 2,809
  • 979 full side finish.jpg
    979 full side finish.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 2,810
  • 979 rear final finish.jpg
    979 rear final finish.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2,809
  • 979 final finish full.jpg
    979 final finish full.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2,810
There aren't many threads that make me hang around on eBay "just out of interest" but this is one. It's just as well Mavic stuff isn't easily available... This has come together really well.

I've got a Mavic BB going spare that's just missing a bearing and you can just steal from the one you have. This is a nice project so don't want much for it.....

Will dig around when I'm in the shop tomorrow - I may even have a spare axle you could just swap out with. You could have that for postage + karma. Would also be willing to lend you the chamfer tool if you need it.

That is so kind of you, this has been my favourite project , any combination of the suggestions you have made would be great, please pm me the details when you have them. I have a friend in a bike shop who will do the chamfer, the frame was originally chamfered but he had to rerun the tool through to fit the current Campag one, it runs very close as its a 111mm axle so changing to a Mavic one would be great and finish my project off perfectly. In fact I nearly rode it to work and back on it today but didn't, shame I took in a local 14% 700m cobbled climb in Cheshire called Swiss Hill, I'll ride up that on Paris Roubaix day!
Cheers Darren

Back