Royal Mail can sod off!!!

scottmac

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I sold a book on ebay today and I prefer to post by Recorded Delivery with Royal Mail, but I couldn't believe it when I was charged £3.65 for 2nd class delivery for a piddling little A5 sized book FFS!!! :shock:

Anyhow, does anyone know of a good courier with decent rates whom I can insure my goods with?

I sell the odd bit of bike stuff (on here and ebay) but after Paypal takes its cut and Royal Maul delivers it with bits broken (or loses it for that matter) I'm making sod all on a sale. :facepalm:

Fank yoop (rant over) :x

Can I ask, when you listed the item did you wrap, weigh and cost it before advertising it so the winner would pay the postage?

sylus":2wjqi4bo said:
Can I ask, when you listed the item did you wrap, weigh and cost it before advertising it so the winner would pay the postage?

Agreed, when i sell on ebay i factor in the cost of postage to the final sale and always advertise it on the listing so the prospective buyer knows. You should never be outa pocket when selling something. If the postage is less then i always provide a refund to the buyer. If you offer 'Free' postage on something you gotta bite the bullet and cough up. The same can be applied to packing materials, bubble wrap, boxes etc. :D

sylus":1y06dl0n said:

Agree...I would say you are making the mistake by not passing on the P&P costs. If stuff gets damaged it is more than likely your fault for improper packaging. Book rarely sell for much, do you need to send them recorded?

Harryburgundy":1o6r5joq said:
sylus":1o6r5joq said:

Agree...I would say you are making the mistake by not passing on the P&P costs. If stuff gets damaged it is more than likely your fault for improper packaging. Book rarely sell for much, do you need to send them recorded?
Jesus! Sorry I asked! :shock:

Anyway, deep breath - here goes...

I used to work for Royal Mail and I know what goes on behind the scenes. I have seen boxes thrown 30ft across a delivery room which have been labelled as FRAGILE and not been caught and smashed. I've seen mashed potato which was squeezed out of a flattened cardboard box. I've seen one postie have a mad fit and rip up all of the mail in front of him in the sorting office, so I always take extra precaution wrapping an item, by encasing it in bubble wrap and cardboard and sometimes even polystyrene popcorn to aid cushioning.

I don't send anything fragile anymore and offer it for collection only on ebay.

So I don't see how if something is broken in transit, then it is my fault? :?

As I was sending a book (A5 size) a simple bubble wrap and padded envelope would suffice, but FFS - £3.65 for 2nd class delivery is taking the p!ss!

As for taking the item to be weighed before sending it, I used to go to this local post office when I lived in Swindon: 198 Beechcroft Road, Swindon, Upper Stratton SN2 7QQ

The miserable sod whom worked behind the counter would weigh the parcel and then give me a price. I would return home and eventually sell the item and then go to said post office to send it and Miss. M. Sod behind the counter would charge me a higher price!!! :roll:

After this happened twice, I gave up and went elsewhere. In fact I moved out of the area so I never had to go back! :D

I send everything Recorded because if the item doesn't arrive Paypal sees the Seller is at fault, even if they have a proof of postage receipt it is not enough to convince ebay. The item must be sent so it can be signed for at the other end.

I recently sent some bike stuff to a geezer whom had given me the wrong address to send it to. It wasn't my fault because that was the address I was given. Royal Mail couldn't do anything about it and ebay came after me with the bailifs asking for over £100, even though I had a proof of postage receipt. They never got it, but I am not going down that path again. Hence I send it Recorded or Special Delivery for expensive items.

Having had stuff get lost by Royal Snail in the past, they reimbursed me with a six stamps. How thoughtful... :roll:

Also check out the attachment. I don't want to end up like him in court...

Anyhow, does anyone know of a good courier?

Attachments

• dailymail.jpeg
    dailymail.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 315
Send it first class for only 10p more! That's value for money!
£1 of your cost is for recorded delivery.
If you can get the packet through the bigger window of the posties card you'll save a quid or so.
You think a courier is going to be much cheaper, if at all? Cream on!

Back