The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised weights

Re: The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised wei

I bought a modern bike, pretty much 10 kilos (ready to ride)
1000 quids worth of upgrades, used a lot of the removed bits on other bikes (brakes, wheels, bar, chain set) so "saved" 500+ there. (The wife disagrees)
Bike is now about 9, maybe a gnats nut under. Which is the same weight as the top of the range bike, give or take 100 grams.
The top of the range bike cost (at the time) about 3000 quid more.

bonus is I can still use rapid rise, instead of sram. ;)

TBH, the last thing anyone looking at, and needing a lightweight bike should be doing is buying a complete bike "as is" as if you are that bothered about it, you are unlikely to want the same kit on your bike as the manufacturers purchase agent wants you to have.

A 21lb bike today will be lightyears faster and more durable than a 20 year old 21lb bike, and in inflation adjusted terms you're kidding yourself if you think the 1993 version was cheaper. Talking earlier about what you can buy for 1k now vs then, well 1k from 1993 is about ~1.6k in modern monopoly money.
A new Scott Scale 640 is a good comparo, has all the lockouts, disc brakes, hundreds of gears, 1.6k and its 24.01lb.

As for 35lb AM bikes, well mine is ~28lb (will be ~30 with a dropper post fitted) and every pound is added function (I wish I could say the same for me).
My gated racing (e.g. 4X/Slalom) and general 'FAB' hardtail is 10.9kg/24lb with a chainguide, burly rims, 760mm wide bars, 20mm through axle fork, big flat pedals; its done a number of seasons with only consumables and we're talking a 100kg rider and bashing over 20'+ gaps on the regular. Like to see a 16" zaskar with a Judy DH and an MRP do that!

Pyro Tim":28k7vqge said:
It's happened in cars. The Mark 1 Golf GTI is still the fastest made Golf GTI, as the new ones are so heavy

Well it isn't, actually.
Mk1 GTi
0-60 - 9s
1/4 mile - 17s
Top speed - 113mph

Mk6 GTi
0-60 - 6.7s
1/4 mile - mid 14s
Top Speed - 149mph

If you took a stock example of each to the track the new one would whip the old one soundly in any measurement you could make.

Spend a few quid on some hanging scales, take them to the shop, weigh the bikes you're interested in. Job jobbered.

shogun":2v32ufwx said:
A 21lb bike today will be lightyears faster and more durable than a 20 year old 21lb bike, and in inflation adjusted terms you're kidding yourself if you think the 1993 version was cheaper. Talking earlier about what you can buy for 1k now vs then, well 1k from 1993 is about ~1.6k in modern monopoly money.
A new Scott Scale 640 is a good comparo, has all the lockouts, disc brakes, hundreds of gears, 1.6k and its 24.01lb.

As for 35lb AM bikes, well mine is ~28lb (will be ~30 with a dropper post fitted) and every pound is added function (I wish I could say the same for me).
My gated racing (e.g. 4X/Slalom) and general 'FAB' hardtail is 10.9kg/24lb with a chainguide, burly rims, 760mm wide bars, 20mm through axle fork, big flat pedals; its done a number of seasons with only consumables and we're talking a 100kg rider and bashing over 20'+ gaps on the regular. Like to see a 16" zaskar with a Judy DH and an MRP do that!

Pyro Tim":2v32ufwx said:
It's happened in cars. The Mark 1 Golf GTI is still the fastest made Golf GTI, as the new ones are so heavy

Well it isn't, actually.
Mk1 GTi
0-60 - 9s
1/4 mile - 17s
Top speed - 113mph

Mk6 GTi
0-60 - 6.7s
1/4 mile - mid 14s
Top Speed - 149mph

If you took a stock example of each to the track the new one would whip the old one soundly in any measurement you could make.

Because they wimped out and boosted it , you put a n/asp Mk1 againt a Mk3 and its laughable.

But then i am a nasp fanboy :oops: :D

widowmaker":1pw5gx88 said:
Because they wimped out and boosted it , you put a n/asp Mk1 againt a Mk3 and its laughable.
But then i am a nasp fanboy :oops: :D

I feel like I'm on the set of Fast & Furious!

However, I am partial to a little car chat; maybe I should change the title of the thread, we've flogged the bike-weight horse beyond death. I've never got the point of nasp, why not increase the pressure of a certain fluid if it results in changed performance? I know lag blah blah, but a well put-together setup won't lag above 2,500 rpm, which is pootling mode anyway. Refusing to push fuel is a bit like saying a true purists car should rely on thigh power and not have mechanically-assisted brakes.

That said ... I do feel an illogical desire for a seven litre 60s-70s rusty old muscle car, so swings and roundabouts.

samc":gmqk7357 said:
I do feel an illogical desire for a seven litre 60s-70s rusty old muscle car, so swings and roundabouts.

I see nothing illogical there :)

Russell":2j5t8er0 said:
CAPIN":2j5t8er0 said:
yeah. Its probably more important for most peole have all the things they read in magazines should be there.

Right travel
15mm axles
dropper post
lockouts for everything

How many of those things have you tried?

Coming mostly from cannondale background. I actually had superstiff forks with discreet lockouts even in nineties ;)
Dropperposts are great, but manufacturers r just starting to release products that don't fall apart after few months. Im waiting when function is sorted and everybody start to think about the weight of these things..

Back