Pendle Witches 2013

It was a 'vintage ride' in my opinion too - but for an entirely different reason...........................

So a week to go and previous comments about not doing any training are coming back to haunt me. Haven't done much but mainly due to a bit of illness and the utterly rubbish weather. Hope its warmed up enough to melt the snow by Sunday....

I've been ok with the riding this year but my concern is the roads. What are the roads like up there? Much ice about? Looks to be a dry week but continuing to be very cold with Saturday night being -1 and Sunday max of only 4-5 degrees. My original plan of this being the first ride of the year to be wearing shorts (and no overtights) is out. Ho hum.

On the plus side, my bike is all nice and clean for the crisp riding conditions, yeah!

Not sure what the roads are like on that side of the pennines but if they're anything like the ones I've been riding on expect lots of deep potholes. Good news is that most of them are full of snow and ice so your wheels won't drop into them. Have long given up on it warming up a bit so just hoping its dryer than last year. If it stays freezing at least I can justify poncing about in a Peugeot Z winter jacket.

Just got this from Sean:

"I live on the route and I am keeping a close eye on the weather. We will sign the route according to conditions on Friday and may have to tweek it slightly but will not risk the safety of the riders. I will send a full detailed route report via e.mail on Friday evening"

My lofty plan to ride out and back to the event looks like being put on hold as the most direct route has a few back roads which are still well covered in snow. I think discretion is the better part of valour in this case.
Hopefully the event will go ahead.
Mark.

I must admit that I am getting close to just letting this one go. Current forecast is an overnight temp on Sunday of -3 to -4 and we will be starting quite early given the clocks going forward. I normally won't ride on local roads in anything near freezing point and if it was any other event I would have written this one off already.

I am due to stay in area specifically for the ride (and one in Macclesfield the following day) but the cancellation notice for accommodation is tomorrow so I guess that will have to do as a cut off :(

I wouldn't fancy coming down off those hills in the current temperatures! Not to mention the possibility of ice, especially early (extra early!) morning. It was bad enough in the wet last year. Rather glad I haven't entered nothwithstanding my recent lung problems!

Good luck to anyone who dares.

xf2ej9.jpg

Still a fair bit of snow piled up beside the roads in N. Yorks once you get off the main roads. Hopefully it'll still be on. I'll be on this bike and wearing a Peugeot Z team jersey so come and say hello.

Back