Time for a stolen pinned thread ?

sylus

Old School Grand Master
As retro becomes more known, the usual toe rags will see how much money is involved, this will and has seen a rise in retro bike thefts either to be sold as complete or more likely stripped for parts

Now I know this community is very active in almost ocd looking for retro stuff to a point where i feel we stand a better chance than most cycling communities in spotting our stolen stuff

I wonder how the site admin/s...mods...and members would feel not to have a forum part but just one pinned thread in this part of the forum to report stolen bikes/parts in the hope we all have a very quick reference point? Personally I think it's been long overdue but would value others opinions??

Apologies If I'm speaking out of line ..it just seems retro thefts are on the up and we have a chance to recover a few??

I'll speak as a regular member here.

I'm all for it, as long as it stays focused on reporting stolen bikes.
If people start making posts about how terrible the theft is or what we should do to the thieves, a pinned "stolen bikes" thread can quickly go into triple-digit page numbers. That can't be the intention.

Agree, perhaps the best way to control it would be for the member to pm someone in the backroom and ask them to post the details so members can't take it off thread

Perhaps if the thread was permanently locked, and any details of stolen bikes (or gear) could be sent to a mod, who'd then update the thread? It would be a lot easier to scan the thread if there were only one post per theft, as well.
Expanding on the idea slightly, if all posts followed a template, e.g. like the readers' rides spec sheet but including incident details, it would make the process easier. As long as members took the effort to format their posts correctly, the respective mod would only need to copy & paste to the thread - plus, an actual spec list would help track stripped bikes.

EDIT, great minds think alike ;)

It would be a lot of work (and this time I'm speaking as a mod), and I'm afraid a parts list won't help much unless they are boutique parts.
Plenty of M730 and M900 around, so you can't expect people to beware of any bike that has such parts.
You'll also never be able to identify those parts unless there's a unique marking on them. (like your social security number or whatever the UK equivalent is)

Perhaps then just when complete bikes are stolen? that should be easy enough to manage?

Sorry, I meant to clarify the 'parts list' as only being necessary for top-end custom, or older vintage, builds. Obviously it wouldn't be practical in most cases. If the thief was careless enough to list a few parts with the same eBay a/c, that might help recover a few pieces.

If the extra admin duties would cause problems, I'm sure there are plenty of members who'd gladly look after one individual thread/section if it was just a case of passing on, and maybe editing, information (I'm assuming mod statuses can be customised and limited to some extent?) I'd be more than happy to do it, but an older (and/or wiser) member might be preferred :)

Back