Am I a MAMIL?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Dear Agony Aunt,

I ride bikes, road and mountain, the road thing is new but I've ridden mtb's for years.

Back in the early 90's I was a mountain biker, then more recently I found out I was a retro biker, now I think I may be a MAMIL (Middle Aged Male In Lycra).

All this time I just thought I was a cyclist.

Help!

Signed,

Confused, on a bike.

Chopper1192":19ml0q2u said:
I guess it does. Still, its better than the names I got called when i used to cycle in a gimp suit.

Well as long as it was made of a breathable material and you wore a safety bib and helmet..

I'd never worry about becoming a MAMIL, because I don't wear lycra (well, I do, but only under another layer) - ever since an episode in my teens when I failed to notice a 3" long triangular rip over my right arse-cheek (unfortunately several fellow students from college did notice as I cruised/posed through the town centre), I now make sure I have some lightweight baggies over the top.

I was cycling a few months back and I passed a group of teenage girls on the street corner. One of the shouted as I passed,

"Look at the tw@t pants on that!"

I'm 43 and smiled all the way home! :D

There are 2 kinds of MAMIL. There are those who only just discovered cycling as an alternative to golf. And those of us who just got older.......

Sadly, on a road bike, baggies just don't work. But I won't be seen dead on an MTB in lycra.

To be a MAMIL you need to be associated with one of the following:

1. A brightly coloured Specialized bike with a duff pair of wheels.
2. An expensive helmet.
3. A years membership of Cycling Fitness Magazine.
5. A T-shirt and plastic medal from a 50km sportive.
6. Hairy legs or
7. Shaved legs that look like you've walked through a hedge.
8. No mudguards in wet weather.
9. To ride in black clothing in wet weather.
10. Wear shorts all year round.
11. Not saying "Hello!" to other cyclists whilst on the road.
12. A paunch.
13. Scared of mending a puncture.
14. Can't ride in a straight line.
15. Can't ride safely in a bunch.
16. Can't unclip from your pedals at junctions/lights and fall off.
17. Boast in the office that you did 100km in a sportive at the weekend for charity and you are doing another one next weekend (but it took you 12 hours).
18. Think an Audax is a french cake.
19. Believe Wiggo & Cav have won everything they have ever entered and can't name a British cyclist before them.
20. Think Armstrong hasn't really cheated because he's done a lot of work for charity.
21. A MAMIL's Sunday ride starts at 11am.

Give 'em a year and they'll be back on the golf course, not really knowing what cycling is all about... :?

Back