Porky wheelset issue, help required

ibbz":1y92hfo0 said:
Apologies
I weighed it with some new digi scales I bought for the purpose.
Bike inc marzocchi z3 is 25 Ibs, lighter than catalogue spec

With the new magura rond quakes I've bought it'll be around a Pound lighter.

I'm definitely going insane and obsessive compulsive with weight weening

Watch for cracking at the head tube on this, Baz77 had a lightly used 350 and after a few rides we found a crack at the head tube. He had a second frame so all the parts were transferred to the other frame. We did find that it was really light for a production bike (oh we swapped the Indy XC's on his for some SIDS).

Carl.

drcarlos":icoidcf4 said:
ibbz":icoidcf4 said:
Apologies

Watch for cracking at the head tube on this, Baz77 had a lightly used 350 and after a few rides we found a crack at the head tube. He had a second frame so all the parts were transferred to the other frame. We did find that it was really light for a production bike (oh we swapped the Indy XC's on his for some SIDS).

Carl.

Thanks for that!
It is a light frame! Especially for a steel.
Where on the head tube?

And I hope bikemeister2000 can tell us more about Reynolds optima

ibbz":2bkt4136 said:
drcarlos":2bkt4136 said:
ibbz":2bkt4136 said:
Apologies

Carl.

Thanks for that!
It is a light frame! Especially for a steel.
Where on the head tube?

And I hope bikemeister2000 can tell us more about Reynolds optima

Just noticed that yours is a steel frame, his was an Alu one, so I wouldn't worry about cracking.

Carl.

taffy":3hq1uh88 said:
If you want to trim weight I'd loose the hefty looking stem and saddle!

I don't want to trim weight anymore, hence the apology :)

The saddle is actually very light considering it has some cushioning and is comfortable, 220g, and the post is a USE Ti, the stem has been changed for a nice Controltech alloy one which again is very light, and the forks for Magura Rond Quake Air.

I can't believe you want to get rid of the Bombers. If you are going to change them to to something lighter get some rigid forks, which would be miles better than the utter cack that most other period forks are.

Rob Atkin":1a34rqt4 said:
I can't believe you want to get rid of the Bombers. If you are going to change them to to something lighter get some rigid forks, which would be miles better than the utter cack that most other period forks are.

Magura Rond Quake Air aren't cac
On par with the bombers lighter less travel more suited to the frame and I prefer them

The Indy is a nasty flexy fork by comparison with the Z3 - it's lighter but at the price of only loosely connecting the steering with the wheel. The Magura would be a good choice though.

A lot of the lighter hubs achieve their saving at the price of durability. M737 was a great design, which was a good all-rounder. Later XTs save weight by an alloy axle, but the bearings are undersized to make space. Serious tourers nowadays use LX to keep the bombproof bearings.

hamster":2fz5g97g said:
The Indy is a nasty flexy fork by comparison with the Z3 - it's lighter but at the price of only loosely connecting the steering with the wheel. The Magura would be a good choice though.

A lot of the lighter hubs achieve their saving at the price of durability. M737 was a great design, which was a good all-rounder. Later XTs save weight by an alloy axle, but the bearings are undersized to make space. Serious tourers nowadays use LX to keep the bombproof bearings.

Agreed, I think there should be a nice balance between weight, durability and plushness
And I could say the same for Pace RC35 family and the RC36, pretty shite

Latest posts

Back