under height steerer vs headset/headtube stack height?

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
is it safe to run a slightly shorter threaded steerer compared to the actual headset plus headtube stack height?

and if so, how much mm of threading of the lock nut onto the steerer is required and deemed safe?

[edit] i've edited my question slightly as i'm an idiot at just looking at the entire stack height as a whole and didn't factor what the stack height of the lock nut.

As an example, the flimsy lightweight Syntace stems I usehave a 40mm actual clamp height, yet the minimum used clamp height is much less- about 32/33mm, I seem to remember.
If it's safe with a 99g stem I should think something beefier will cope .

As an example, the flimsy lightweight Syntace stems I usehave a 40mm actual clamp height, yet the minimum used clamp height is much less- about 32/33mm, I seem to remember.

I have a similar problem with my Marin frame. It originally came fitted with a very low stack height steel headset, so the steerer tube is rather short. You can fit a higher stack headset, but the problem is that often there's not enough thread protruding for the lock nut to fit on. I had a Syncros stem which had a lip on it, that would sort of hold the headset together a bit like a threadless, but it wasn't great.

Sadly, most of the really low stack headsets are the cheap and chearful ones with caged ball bearings and no seals that don't last very long before they either get rough, or start "indexing".

img_3719ust7.jpg

suburbanreuben":115izspc said:

huh… sorry??? :?

RockiMtn":157kepro said:
suburbanreuben":157kepro said:

huh… sorry??? :?

threaded :roll:

So no, don't do it!

I don't know the CK, but the M900 will be on the edge of the top lock nut so I doubt enough to give a good safe locking on the steerer.

But as long as the top lock nut has enough threads past it or a locking clamp has threads past it, then yes, if not it'll just not work or likely strip after a bit.

The advantage you do have is the headset will just come loose as the stem will keep the fork legs in

any bolts the stem has should have steerer fully through their clamping area.

Back