Pedal threads

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Yes, all pedals are 9/16" except french, which are smaller at 14mm x 1.25. There maybe some other obscure types of thread, especially on older bikes, but everything for the last few decades has been 9/16 (except the french parts!)

My minimal knowledge says yes they are, except Frech threads but you can use French threads if you put some form of engineering paste on the pedal as you thread it. The pitch of the threads is the difference and not the spacing - the TPI!!

I hope i got that right, no doubt someone with a greater knowledge than me will be able to definitively advise.

Thanks again,

Richard

Um, Shimano Dyna Drive are different - in a big way - much larger diameter hole. I doubt that Montello would be that far out though!!! If it is DD, adaptors are available - check the sales thread as i have ordered a pair in the past week.

richard

There is a slight difference between Italian 9/16 x 20 and Japanese 9/16 x 20. I think it is the angles on the points of the threads which will cause a Japanese pedal to thread tight into an Italian crank. Anyone else tried to thread a Shimano SPD pedal into a Campy crank? They work but they're tight.

foz":2iqxoe1u said:
Yes, all pedals are 9/16" except french, which are smaller at 14mm x 1.25. There maybe some other obscure types of thread, especially on older bikes, but everything for the last few decades has been 9/16 (except the french parts!)

I think certain BMX cranksets have a peculiar threading too, although that's going slightly OT for the Road part of the forums!

David

Old Yeller":25rgxe9q said:
There is a slight difference between Italian 9/16 x 20 and Japanese 9/16 x 20. I think it is the angles on the points of the threads which will cause a Japanese pedal to thread tight into an Italian crank. Anyone else tried to thread a Shimano SPD pedal into a Campy crank? They work but they're tight.

I found it the other way - threading Campag Gran Sport pedals into a Middleburn RS7 felt tight. Shimano SPDs and MKS pedals threaded easily.

Standard thread for BMX pedals is 1/2 inch, as are some unicycles. The half inch pedal was also common on cruisers I think the commonality came from the one piece cranks.

Latest posts

Back