MOTOR CHAT

Why the sad face? I love a tdi for everyday driving. Ok for a rush you can't beat a high revving petrol, but diesel torque just makes things so easy.

Not really sad as such, just bowing to economic reality.

50mpg is not to be ignored, my old BMW E30 325i did 25 mpg if you drove like an old lady but 12/13mpg using the performance, the 2.2l Ecotec in the VX Omega estate struggled to get 25mpg. The Scirocco with the 1.8l injection engine was around 35mpg but was too wee for all our crap now the girls are older. A Passat estate takes all the stuff, bikes and gear, no problem, just chuck it in the back. The Omega was a freebie from my mate but it did open my eyes to the advantages of a non-performance "family" type car. Anybody want any bits off the Omega as it's being put out of my misery to make space for Passat?

There's so little petrol in it, it won't start because it's sitting across a very slight slope and pump can't pick it up.
You'd use more coming to get it. :roll: Jeez, I think I'm going to have to put some in to get it moved out of way. :facepalm:

John what I dont understand is I had a 2.0 Carlton estate and I could get 40 mpg out of it
maybe its because I drove it like a (..........) Feel free to add description :?

Rob, my mate, who gave me the Omega, told me he never got more than 28mpg out of it and that was when he used it to drive to France a couple of times. He never drove it fast whenever I was in it with him, in contrast to how he drove his Scirocco, and I drove it the same way. It didn't lend itself to "spirited" driving neither economically nor dynamically. It was a pipe and slippers car.

Meant to ask, what engine is in your A4? Assume it's a 1.8l petrol.

RobMac":206sxtm9 said:
Its just a old 80 and I get 42'ish mpg easy & its 2.0 ltr.

No bad if it's a diesel but brilliant if it's petrol. :cool:
I used to drive to and from Falkirk from Burntisland for work when I had a Scirocco with the 1.8l inj engine.
Would average 40mpg, very good considering I would hammer it going there in the morning overtaking everything in front of me, didn't usually take it easy on way home either. Good engines that were in the VW/Audis back then.

My Beemer is getting 19.5 average *, probably single figures if i kick its arse in :)

*Round town driving though and i dont need the car daily.

Back