Wookiee's 1992 Marin Bear Valley

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So another Marin finds its way into my shed! I was on the lookout for another Zolatone model but this came up and it was just a few miles down the road and a good price so I though I'd give it a go. Its a 1992 Marin Bear Valley and when I got it it had broken right hand STI lever, tyres with little tread left, a dodgy seat, cheapo plastic pedals and generally in need of a good clean and some TLC.

I decided the first thing to go were the STI levers and shifters as I've never liked the look of them and the plastic brake levers were just naff! I found some DX STI's that were in a sorry cosmetic state but mechanically functioning well. And bit the bullet and thought I would try a DIY respray! (despite my last terrible efforts with a Marin stem!). Dismantled the units and got to work. The STI decal had long gone, but the SLR one still remained, the lever blades were pretty much silver. Much to my surprise they turned out really well, so I thought I would have a go at an old set of pedal cages I had too, and they look good too! (maybe I'm getting the hang of this spraying lark!) Next up I stripped all the cables and cleaned and replaced with the new STI units. Gave it all a good clean and polished the chrome bits and it turns out its in pretty good condition under the grime.

I didn't like the plasticy Exage canti's that came with it and raided the parts box where I knew I had some XT ones and stuck them on too. Stuck on a better saddle I had knocking about aswell.

I stuck the wheels from my Team Marin on there to get an idea of the amberwall/black rim combo, which if you know me is always a winner in my eyes! I've got some DX hubbed black Araya RM17's on the way destined for the Bear, but for the mean time I put the original Exage hubbed Araya VP20 and some Marin Lite tyres that I had knocking about. And thats how it stands at the moment. It has a 400LX front and rear mech which seem to work fine, and a 500LX crankset which is all ok too. Ideally I would like to change these bits for DX as and when I find some parts at a good price, but for now they function perfectly well.

I am still on the look out for a Zolatone frame that I may end up transferring all the parts from the Bear onto that as I do love the ol Zolatone! So if you have a 19" frame let me know!!!! I'm thinking of taking this, along with the Team to Mayhem in June as my 2nd ride...So if your going I'll see you there!

Wookiee (Doug)

Attachments

• 1992 Marin Bear Valley 8.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 8.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 1,660
  • 1992 Marin Bear Valley 7.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 7.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,655
  • 1992 Marin Bear Valley 6.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 6.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,655
  • 1992 Marin Bear Valley 5.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 5.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,655
  • 1992 Marin Bear Valley 4.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 4.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 1,654
  • 1992 Marin Bear Valley 3.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 3.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,656
  • 1992 Marin Bear Valley 2.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 2.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 1,658
  • 1992 Marin Bear Valley 1.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 1,659
Re: Wookiee's 1992 Bear Valley

And with the Silver Araya's and black wall Marin Lites...

Attachments

• 1992 Marin Bear Valley 10.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 10.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,645
  • 1992 Marin Bear Valley 9.jpg
    1992 Marin Bear Valley 9.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 1,645

Looks really nice mate. I think the 500LX chainsets are fine and wouldn't bother replacing it with Deore unless it's wearing out. Nice work with the spray can too!

raidan73":2tz2nzks said:
Looks really nice mate. I think the 500LX chainsets are fine and wouldn't bother replacing it with Deore unless it's wearing out. Nice work with the spray can too!

To be honest I have an LX one and put side by side I'm damned if I can see any difference!

Looks really nice mate, i've not seen one of those before.

Now I know that you're a black rim kinda guy Doug but i think it looks more balanced with the silver Araya's and black nipples mate especially with amberwalls... If i where you i'd pull them off ebay dude.

R.

PopsTrippin":2nlxjkao said:
Looks really nice mate, i've not seen one of those before.

Now I know that you're a black rim kinda guy Doug but i think it looks more balanced with the silver Araya's and black nipples mate especially with amberwalls... If i where you i'd pull them off ebay dude.

R.

Too late Rich they sold a few mins ago...just can't get on with silver...I think it dates back to when I had my 1991 Muirwoods BITD and so wanted a black rim upgrade but couldn't afford it. I even coloured in the rims on the catalogue Muirwoods! (I was 16!) So to me silver rims just look a bit budget...just my opinion...

Oh and as you can see from the pics the stem is missing the rubber top cap so if anyone has one let me know! That and a Zolatone frame in 19" flavour!

Back