UK vs US brake differences.

rear brake on the left so I can feather the rear brake while wheeling and drink my tea with my right hand pinkie out

Rear brake the same side as the rear QR skewer handle. It really is that simple.

Woz":lgmpllh1 said:
Rear brake the same side as the rear QR skewer handle. It really is that simple.

And thats another thing that gets my OCD going.I just cant stand it when i see the front quick release skewer handle on the same side as the mechs Arrrhhhhhh :LOL:

According to top profs, riders with the front brake on the right lever are 18% manlier, and have 361% more sex than everyone else.

Source - Chopper Market research Ltd, Sample - 1 person.

RobMac":l2jly2pw said:
What brake has the most effect at stopping a bike, front or rear?

Both at the same time would stop the bike more effectively.

As for which lever for which brake: I was under the assumption that the right-hand lever was for the front in the UK, Left for the front in the US. My personal preference is right hand lever for front brake.

Chopper1192":10s9nxyl said:
Why wouuld you put the lever for the least used mech on the right, where the majority of people keep their strongest and most dextrous hand? That'd be like mounting the burger-and-fries carrier just out of reach on the down tube where the average Obese-ican can't quite reach it.

Right hand strongest? Those are city hands, Mr Hooper..!

You are all wrong.

As I am rad to the power of sick (TM someone else) I can tell you that when you are doing an awesome cool skid to impress the ladies, you should always do it with the steering turned to the right. Having the rear brake on the left means you can point with your right hand to an appropriate object or person, maybe the lady you wish to mate with. Doing it the other way, which you will be forced to do with a front brake on the left, will make you look like a wannabe, and people will throw socks at you. You do not want this to happen.

So take heed, American muppets, front brake on the right, ok??

I work in a theatre and we had a very high profile American director working with us, turned out he was a bike nut and claimed to know a lot of the main men in the scene in the states. So I gave him a loan of a bike for when he was in Edinburgh.

The same day he wiped out big time in the middle of rush our traffic as he accidentally grabbed a huge handful of front brake by accident. He was cool about it though, even though my bosses thought it was my fault for some reason.

I was in the states a while back; hired a MTB and they swapped the brake levers around and said it wasn't any trouble. Hired a road bike too, but went along with the front on the left because that is a real hassle to change.

Back