Who's got a 29'er?

firedfromthecircus":5at6qvov said:
Neil G":5at6qvov said:
I've never been that militant about 29ers, I think I've just stated an obvious point r.e weight loss/fitness which also applies to 26 wheeled bikes and road bikes.

I didn't mean to insult anyone with reference to the MTB industry but you have to admit that it's become a rich, older persons sport these days and these are the folk that are driving it to some extent.

I wouldn't have necessarily said militant, but you have certainly come across in this thread and others on the same subject as 'definitely not in favour of'. :LOL:

I agree that the sport does have a lot of rich old men participating these days, but a lot of them are still on expensive 26" wheeled carbon full sussers.
The cheap 29ers are now almost as cheap as the cheap 26ers and full carbon will be expensive no matter the wheel size. Both the 29er that I am riding just now, and the one I am building cost less than I paid for my Stumpy 16 years ago!

As I said, vive le difference. Just credit us big wheelers with some integrity. ;)

Now don't get me started on carbon :D

I've had a few test rides on 29ers but they all have the same problem for me. None I've tried have enough standover, can anyone recomend something for a very old rider on middle income? :)

shedobits":2kh1dupw said:
I've had a few test rides on 29ers but they all have the same problem for me. None I've tried have enough standover, can anyone recomend something for a very old rider on middle income? :)

One of these? ;)

Big(ger) wheels, good stand over height, and ye gods it's fast. Accelerates up to speed pretty well, and once you're going it just flies over everything. Beat some of my KOM times on Strava yesterday......on a rigid, in the gloop :shock:

Salsa goes down to 14.5" frame which is the smallest non-custom I've seen. My Ritchey P29er in 15" is fairly low, plus I run a rigid 445mm fork which means my front end isn't as high - steepens the HTA a touch - just makes it handle more like my CX!

Back