some good advice please

danie1

Dirt Disciple
Hi im new on this site and I would like some advice.... :)

I have a single speed orange ms isle and I would like to convert it to a 27 speed and upgrade the forks. How would I go about this. Also what parts should I be looking to get, can anyone point me in the direction of some bargains.

If all fails I will just sell it lol

Thanks Dan

welcome etc :)

well sounds like you'll be spending some money then, post a pic of the bike so we can see what needs doing, then it'll be easier to advise you.

the options are huge really, do you want it to build it period correct or modern? what type of forks do you want/need? what's your budget etc?

:)

p.s easiest way to post a pic is upload the pic to flikr/photobucket then copy the link to post it when replying

Hi,
I do not have any pics of the bike right now. But thats the only things that really need doing.
I want it for the summer to go riding on.
Do you think it would be worth selling and getting a bike that has gears already?
Or could I do it on a cheap budget.
Dan

again, without more details/pics it's hard to say, also it depends on what actual level of spec you want versus your potential budget to convert it to a geared bike.

the Ms Isle bikes don't go for stupid money really and if you like the bike it would be better to convert it for the use you want, always loads of used parts on here in the for sale section to help keep the budget down

Yeah thats very true.
At the moment im not bothered about high spec, but I just dont know what I would need to change it over to a geared bike, like could I keep the same wheels or would I have to get different ones?

It all depends on what is on there now, hence the pics or at least a description.
I don't know the bike on question, so assuming its a typical pre '98 xc bike (hence the section you bare in an xc bikes the most common).
Then a rear much, a cassette and wheel that takes one and a shifter, probably a new chain.
That gets you the rear 9 speed.

For the front you need similar. A mech, a triple chain set and rings and appropriate bottom bracket and a shifter.

I am assuming the rear much hanged and cable stops are on the bike ready for such a setup and not chopped of with the single speed conversion.

The best thing about this forum apart from the good banter is the avaliability of spares at all budgets :D

Although my Bank Manager, my Wife and our hungry children wont agree :D

Ok thanks
Im assuming if things have been chopped off I would not be able to do it. I will get some pics up soon I no its got hope hubs on it and other hope bits if that helps.

danie1":1qzcc6uw said:
Ok thanks
Im assuming if things have been chopped off I would not be able to do it. I will get some pics up soon I no its got hope hubs on it and other hope bits if that helps.

I cant think of anything that would have been chopped off as such, maybe unbolted but nothing that cant be replaced :)

Get some pics and i am sure you will have friendly advice coming out of your ears :D

Latest posts

Back