New hardtail...Cotic BFe

Well I manned up and took a couple of pics...theyre not great but hey ho.

DSC_0586_zpsacd4ad8a.jpg

DSC_0587_zpsdd5cdf6c.jpg

DSC_0588_zps00aa890b.jpg

DSC_0590_zps6765ec64.jpg

DSC_0591_zps6d2a3994.jpg

DSC_0592_zps2063db3a.jpg

DSC_0593_zpsc28d7771.jpg

DSC_0594_zps347b1b57.jpg

As I said before, I'm chufed with it. Now I just need to get it dirty!

I measured the seat tube which is 14 inches and the top tube (actual line, centre to centre is 21.5 inches).

Aha yep, basically same size as the Trailstar then! Just a pound n a bit lighter and more laid back geo.
It's so cute seeing a little Bfe, all the same features and stickers just didi! Awesome it looks very good for a fast build up. Brilliant. Be interested to see how you get on with it. Any other changes planned or test it first?
Yep out the door road riding bit of fun less far less planning. Just been sizing up my commuter tourer bits, story for another thread!

Only potential change is the brakes. I really don't get on with the M4's...the mini levers are pretty but they just don't work. I think I'll change them for some Shimano Deores or SLX brakes and track down a set of old Avid adapters be ause they did a 185 / 165 combo for the original Juicy brakes. Other than I'm pleased with it all.

It was only a fast build because it was a parts transfer from the Tazer, aside from the chain device which is new because this frame is ISCG 05 and be Tazer was old ISCG. Got to say that I'm impressed with the Superstar Plasma device...it's quieter than my E13, easier to set up, sturdier and less than half the price.

I'm still making do with bargain basic but quality diatech anchors. Until I get really fast down hill they've been brill. Amazingly better than cantis! Haha lots a good new brakes out there. Maybe hope lovers can explain the performance unless plain old tech now.... I had same prob with chain device. Really splashed out on a Straitline Silent Guide. So far it's been fab!

Bit of an update on this...

The M4's were doing my head in, they just didn't really want to work, especially in the wet so I decided to cut my loses. They'll be going on eBay this week and have been replaced by a set I'd Deore brakes from CRC.

They turned up on Thursday and weren't dodgy OE jobbies...they actually came in a box! Can't fault them for forty quid an end.

c219eb19c1f20ebf077e1a1679b50740_zpsf8b3d622.jpg

49376ee87807a6152ab3e835f78dcece_zps4de8139b.jpg

2b3ff4e3291288d3dc9ea7f465ba5703_zps002db6b4.jpg

The good news is that because the use the older style pads, they fit onto the old M4 rotors which I have had to keep due to running old school Bulbs with a five bolt pattern. The disc spiders caused me some real headaches, especially on the rear. The rear adapter as had to be filed down massively to stop it catching on the disc bolts. I also had to swap the old style disc bolts for newer torx head ones to improve clearance. The rear calliper has also ad to be spaced to fit a 165mm disc because the adapter is or a 160mm rotor.

The front was easier because only the very bottom of the adapter had to be filed and its an Avid 185 so fits my bigger rotor perfectly. I also ditched the stock hoses for some white ones because I'm a tart!

5df1d5554214d919ee77c7cab66f2192_zpsc47aff7e.jpg

4dcf06b5c62685b21c74a5fd786227b8_zpsd08dcd79.jpg

1e50b30dda2fdabf8e9db1cd51b7e844_zps0229477e.jpg

Overall I'm pretty damn happy. For he money they seem unbelievable, just need some better weather to go and get them bedded in.

I also need to find the source of an annoying creak, can't decided if its coming from the bottom bracket or from the cassette. I'll do some fiddling this week.

Looks like a load of fun :cool: I've read a few comments about the BFe being...well too beefy and loosing a bit of steel is real feel. But for this it looks spot on.

kaiser":32ea9w02 said:
Looks like a load of fun :cool: I've read a few comments about the BFe being...well too beefy and loosing a bit of steel is real feel. But for this it looks spot on.
Stick fat tyres and a decent fork on a steel frame and I bet you would never be able to tell anyway... That whole "steel is real" thing is a load of rubbish.

Cheers mate. To be honest, I've not got much experience of 'proper' steel frames to compare it to but it it does feel pretty stiff (although no where near as stiff and harsh as my Tazer was).

If I'm going to honest, I bought it because I liked the colour and it was cheap! It was out of a dodgy batch so classed as a second, buying do t have the issue with weld by the cassette so am doubly happy!

Fair play, it does look lovely. I'd really like to get my hands on either the new BFe in green, or a Cotic Rocket. That would be amazing.

kaiser":1e7p6j6e said:

I dunno about this ya know... However, the original Bfe, grey and I think another colour, these really were stiff, they had fat stays and gussets and stuff so that may be where the comments or rumours came from. I've been happy with mine, it's reassuringly stiff to handle but despite only a 2.1 kenda on the back still it still doesn't have a sting in it's tail. I did have a stiff alu HT and even my heavy and stuff jump bike felt steel like there is a difference. This springiness is not like ye olde retro XC delights though, different things. I'd like to try a Soul see how if different they are, lot a lot i expect.

Great work mindmap. Brake upgrade sounds like the final piece of the jigsaw not to mention the tarty hoses. You've give me an idea for my reluctant Old Hopes.
Bike looks great mate. :D

Back