Pace RC45 stem dmensions query

mr_skinny

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hi, I'm starting to put together a box of trinkets to build up my Vit T2.

As it's a retro build I tought I'd go for anodised colours and have a blue Pace Renthal RC-Sub-130 bar for the build.

I'd like a Pace RC45 (XC stem) to bolt to it too. However, there are stem clamp marks around the centre bulge of the bar and I'm wondering how wide is the clamp on the RC45 stem? I have old brochures that detail "wide secure clamp area" for the stem but no measurements. The marks are 20mm either side of the dead centre so ideally I'd like the clamp on the RC45 to be at least 40mm wide to hide the 'obscenities'!

Any one have one they can measure before I start looking for one and spending pennies?!

A pic of the stem I'm after courtesy of Google!

...and if the measurements are good, anyone have the stem in silver and 120mm length in very tidy condition?!

Attachments

• 5696317149_7cb6fc438e_z.jpg
    5696317149_7cb6fc438e_z.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 598
Cheers fellas!

40 wide, 24 internal so the two bits that curl around the bar with the bolts are 8mm each?

I know they sold this stem for a few years - do you think the width will differ at all between initial and final release?

I'm sounding like a a paranoid bike tart aren't I?! ...the frame is NOS so wanting the rest to look excellent too!!

Thats right, 8mm at the narrowest point. My stem is a late 100mm job, but I also used to have the early release 120 & 135mm versions, I don't remember them looking any different but I didnt actually measure them. I'll try & post a picture later.

mr_skinny":24nglsmz said:
As it's a retro build I tought I'd go for anodised colours and have a blue Pace Renthal RC-Sub-130 bar for the build.

However, there are stem clamp marks around the centre bulge of the bar

the marks are 20mm either side of the dead centre

I don't know the stem dmensions, but I've researched dental treatment for you, those bar were never strong and were only recommended for one season's use?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dental+repair+afte ... e+accident

Any chance of the steerer clamp height too? I can then measure up with regards to stack height and ensure I get some forks with the right length steerer.

I'm well aware of the fragility of the Pace/Renthal bars!

However, I've had the bars from new. The marks are from an Orange SK8 stem I had fitted to my E3. I wouldn't dream of buying second-hand bars of any type. I used to downhill race when I was younger and have seen my fair share of smashed faces!

My Vit T2 when it's built won't see any abusive riding - purely for a leisurely sunny sunday afternoon ride :D

My first downhill race in 1995 sporting a black Renthal Sub 130 bar on my E3 - Oooops!

....and a pic from one of my last downhill races in 2000 (I think) before the foot and mouth outbreak destroyed the local race scene. How the bikes changed in 5 years!!

This is the Orange Mr O I'm trying to restore at the moment - justbackdated fixed the Pace Monster forks me.

Attachments

• '95 NEMBA DH.jpg
    '95 NEMBA DH.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 572
  • '00 NAMBS DH.jpg
    '00 NAMBS DH.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 572
Steerer clamp height is 35mm. The only difference I noticed between the pictured stem (100mm) & my old 120 & 135mm versions is that there is more material in the clamp area immediatly behind the bars - comparemy pic with your google image & you'll see what I mean.

Attachments

• 2013-03-24 16.44.22.jpg
    2013-03-24 16.44.22.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 559
  • 2013-03-24 16.43.59.jpg
    2013-03-24 16.43.59.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 559
Cheers fella!

Looks like Pace had a few failures or scares and beefed up the material

Thanks for the front end shot - I can match up on mine as to whether all the scuffs will be hidden :D

Cool mini too. I had a Cooper S...it looked outrageous with my DH bike on the back - I think the wheels stuck out by a foot each side - I little precarious going through tight spots!!

Ah, the mini is a 1972 1380cc replica Cooper S & was my toy before mountain biking came along in '94. I've owned it since 1984 & learnt to drive in it. Modified it from a harvest gold 998 in the 80's, stripped to bare metal & respayed in 91 & not had a great deal of use since 2004. Still taxed (free!!!) mot'd & insured & a great laugh for a blast for short periods of time. Nothing makes me grin more than an ancient tuned A series engine at 8500rpm & a howling straight cut box!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 542
Back