Peugeot 205 for sale???

The 205s weren't all that. Seems a lot of folk have a serious case of rosé tinteditis.

I've had 8, including 2 x 1.6 GTis and 2 x 1.9s.

The 1.6s were my favourite fizzy and lively, unlike the lumpen and leaden 1.9s which actually weren't much quicker, especially the later cat equipped models. They undoubtedly steered better and had more joi de vivre than the Golf GTi but they were tricky and unpredictable on the limit and a handful in bad weather. They were more fun, but the Golf was the better all rounder for ping to work, shopping, long journeys in the rain etc.

And they were terribly made. Inconsistent paint, trim that faded in weak February sun, cabin and boot water leaks, electrical gremlins, lumpy running, front suspension that wore quickly and regularly needed refreshing with new wishbones and bushes etc.

If you want a 205 as a fair weather toy then you'll love it, but if you want to use it daily hen virtually every other car ever made is a better bet.

I gotta agree with Koupe - I still have an Mi16 and a 405 GRDt, both in good order and running but off the road at the moment. As well a the wife's landy I've also got a 4007 and a tubbie'd 107, and I can't afford to keep 5 cars on the road at once!

I'm 07 Series registrar for CPUK, so if you're serious about a tidy 205 ill let you know of any good ones cross my radar, but be warned - there are precious few good AND cheap ones any more, with even 205 vans going for silly money for resto by enthusiasts.

There was a T16 went past me in Guildford the other day. In red. Pulled out of the junction opposite the Evans shop nice and slow then booted it - went like greased lightening!! Cool car.

Only actualy ever had 1, which was 1987 D plate in gun metal grey it was the 1.4 XS model with tinted rear lights and GTI seats and steering wheel with 1.9 wheels on it which rubbed on arches cos of the softer suspension on the 1.4 lol. loved it and just looking for another, older the better really, looking to spend around £350 for one with decent MOT and a tad tax on it.

The 1.4XS was a bit of a dark horse, being a tenth of a second quicker to 60 than the contemporary Golf GTi. Today they're cheap to tax because of the engine size, relatively cheap to insure compared to the GTi, but near on as fast so they're very sought after, tend to go for nearer 7 or 800 notes, even for sheds. They briefly did a 5 door version, but cant remember what it was called (XE, GT? summat like that).

Might be worth keeping an eye in the calssified ads section of the Peugeot Sport Clubs website. There's also the 205drivers website, but that has itnermittently been offline of late for some reason.

The 309 might be a better bet - every bit as good, if anything a little more grown up in its handling with the wider front track and the extra weight taming the rear axle from suddenly unloading, but not quite so chic so pricesremain in the doldrums. Downside it that there aren't many left so may be harder to find a nice one.

Chopper1192":3o8alren said:
The 205s weren't all that. Seems a lot of folk have a serious case of rosé tinteditis.

I've had 8, including 2 x 1.6 GTis and 2 x 1.9s.

The 1.6s were my favourite fizzy and lively, unlike the lumpen and leaden 1.9s which actually weren't much quicker, especially the later cat equipped models. They undoubtedly steered better and had more joi de vivre than the Golf GTi but they were tricky and unpredictable on the limit and a handful in bad weather. They were more fun, but the Golf was the better all rounder for ping to work, shopping, long journeys in the rain etc.

And they were terribly made. Inconsistent paint, trim that faded in weak February sun, cabin and boot water leaks, electrical gremlins, lumpy running, front suspension that wore quickly and regularly needed refreshing with new wishbones and bushes etc.

If you want a 205 as a fair weather toy then you'll love it, but if you want to use it daily hen virtually every other car ever made is a better bet.

I gotta agree with Koupe - I still have an Mi16 and a 405 GRDt, both in good order and running but off the road at the moment. As well a the wife's landy I've also got a 4007 and a tubbie'd 107, and I can't afford to keep 5 cars on the road at once!

I'm 07 Series registrar for CPUK, so if you're serious about a tidy 205 ill let you know of any good ones cross my radar, but be warned - there are precious few good AND cheap ones any more, with even 205 vans going for silly money for resto by enthusiasts.

Good to hear of a Mi16 that hasnt had it guts ripped out to shove into a 205 :cool:

Always has a soft spot for the Mi16 :cool:

Aye, the Mi was a stunning handling car. Inredibly grippy, flat and with accurate steering. Why take a perfectly good engine and schlop it in an arguably worse handling car.

My mi is a phase 2, 1991. Slightly less powerful and a fraction ehavier then the earlier 1.9, but the chassis/monocoque structure is stiffer. It looks good in slightly faded cherry red with grey leather from an Executive model, but it'll need some minor welding arounf the leading edge of the the front sill.

The GRDt is a nice car, good looking, deep 80's velour trim, tidy black pain and alloys, but has 303,000 miles. Still runs just fine but I think the clutch cover has broken a finger/leaf spring as it rattles incredibly loudly.

The 4007 was bought as a stop gap for the missus, but it's proven to be a good workhorse for lugging bikes etc and cheap enough to run to be a viable secend car so it stayed for longer than itnded. Not really an off-roader, but good enought in the recent dire weather.

The 107 is a show queen and multiple concours winner, 7,000 miles in 3 years. It does get used all weathers, but not often, and mainly during the summer months. The turbo kit is a close duplicate of the one devolped for the model by Balance Motorsport, and the management is a Dastek piggyback system sorted by a fellow radio amateur and computer genius I know who lives out new Gloucester. I terms of stop, go and cornering probably the closest facsimile to a 205 1.6 there is.

If the weather clears I need to spend a day in the week cleaning the fleet - if it warms up enough to get the sponge out I'll take some pics for your delectation.

Would be nice to see some Mi16 pictures, a mate had a Mi16x4 when i had my Audi 80 Sport, mine had a TSR build engine so around the same power but lighter and could hold him off in the straights (just about :oops: ) as soon as things got slightly windy i had a rear mirror full of 405 :D

One day soon, i will buy myself a sport saloon from the mid 80's, just dont know which one :?

there was one for sale here in brigg last week, £300 taxed and tested. i can check it out if you like

Back