1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

Sourcing the parts....

So, a quick update, all is looking well with the build, and there's little that I'm finding difficult to source. I'll not detail everything on my shopping list until I've bought them :) - but one of the remaining challenges is in identifying period tubulars. On this one I think I'm going to have to compromise somehow. The bike's still on the original tub from 1991 - on the front wheel, which is a Vittoria Corsa CX "Squadre Prof"- but finding an identical tub at a 'fair' price is proving to be difficult.

I talked before about my dad's experiences with classic cars, and he faced a similar challenge - except that his problem was getting a tyre in the right size, and period pattern. Oh, and the small matter of getting a 70 year old car through an MOT. Thank goodness we don't have that to face, and thank goodness for 700c! I think he found some asian manufacturer making a 'classic' copy.

So I'm looking for some advice - what sort of tub's should I put on ? Does anyone know what sort of tubs the team were using then ? I still plan on riding the bike occasionally, so something that I can afford to puncture would be good !

A good source of product I've found is the US, and fortunately I have a friend (cheers Chas!) who visits europe sporadically and will happily hand courier items for me, which has the potential to save a small fortune.

They were definitely using Vittoria corsa cx's. They put a corsa CG on the back if it was wet as it had more tread. Hope that helps. me and a couple of friends had the remaining stock from Paul Sherwen when he stopped being the manager so you have it from the horses mouth. You can still buy corsa CSX's as they are still made.
Cheers DD

Top shout Darren - I think on the basis of your comments I'll still keep an eye out for period CX's, after all I'm halfway there - but the £50 Planet-X have the SC's for seems like a fair price.

I have a feeling I 'might' actually have a CX somewhere, no doubt along with the original Campag Record Rear Skewer.

Yesterday I split the chain, and removed the front and rear derailleurs.

As always here's the 'before' pics - again I think the iPhone has rose tinted specs !

The other thing I found whilst looking for a suitable receptacle for a manky chain, - three NOS Delta brake blocks still in the box (I had already fitted one... and I'd meant to finish the job when I got home)

Attachments

• photo14.JPG
    photo14.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 965
  • photo13.JPG
    photo13.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 965
One of the first 'after' pics, I invite your comments :)

I'm pleased with the results, just waiting on some new ball bearing for the jockey wheels (who's daft idea was white jockey wheels eh ?)

Some scratches on the top end of the rear mech, but it's much improved.

I have also acquired the skewer, white hoods and new brake levers, and pearl white outers....

It's starting to come together... I've also got a cunning plan for the Corsa CX, but more on that next week.

Attachments

• photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 939
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 939
citrixccea":1is1l45b said:
Decisions, Decisions....

I don't take this lightly you know :) I realise that the forum have high expectations of my bike - it's funny because even though I've had it for more than 20 years, all of a sudden it doesn't seem like 'my' bike any more, I'm more 'custodian' than 'owner'.

So I've had a go with the saddle, and very quickly reached the opinion that whilst it was improving slightly with my gentle efforts, the only way forward was to consult the experts. The leather itself is very robust - its that top level of the hide that's been coloured that's so precious. So thanks to cloonaghpat for his inspiration - he showed on previous posts what he had managed with a black saddle and a repair kit.

Well having looked at the prices of the repair kits Pat had used, and critically critiqued my own abilities, and I thought I'd give be better off giving the pro's a crack. I can do mechanical, I can do logical, but I'm not sure I'm an artist.

So having agreed a fair but not insignificant quotation for the work (more than better looking saddles might be on offer for on popular sites) , next week the saddle is off to a professional leather restorer, to see what she can do with it.

And of course if what I receive looks nice and yellow, I'll gladly promote her services to the rest of you and if not Matt_wood55 will have the chance for his old saddle to sit atop Dave's old bike :)

I have also been applying some vigorous elbow grease to the front wheel - and in comparison, it has benefited ! I'll post some pics on the weekend, when I'm home.

Some suggestion on how to to clean the tan side walls of old tubulars would be appreciated!

For the tubs, go to your local Motorworld etc, you can get Orange wipes designed for cleaning car interiors, they work a treat, same stuff as bike orange cleaner but in throw away cloth form so you can really rub hard - note if you rub too haved it will also get rid of the decal on the tub

Another chapter in this adventure - Universal Cycle Centre - Maltby, what a find!

Chris Walker suggested that these guys could help locate a head badge - and they did (see below), but what I wasn't expecting was the warmth of their welcome or the depth of their knowledge. If you've got a vintage Raleigh, you've simply got to visit - I also got to meet the chap who probably sprayed my bike when it was new....
http://www.universalcyclecentre.co.uk

Dave (Marsh) was also able to correctly identify the handlebar type I needed and dug out a Cinelli XA in 110, but in the flesh I could see it wasn't long enough to match the pictures I have from BITD, so a 130mm one is the preferred choice.

So my 'Banana' will finally get the head badge it deserves, having spent more of it's life without one - and this badge came straight from the factory in Nottingham, via Maltby.

They also pointed out another link to the past, but more on that another time!

Next time I go, I must take some pics of Chris Walker's 1991 milk race winning Banana Falcon bike, which is hung in the shop- it's exactly how I want this bike to look....

Attachments

• photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 910
So at the start of this build I was encouraged to take 'loads' of photos - I wonder how many is too many ? I'm documenting each component I work on - before and after.

As it's bank holiday weekend, it's clearly time to clean chain rings - I've also had the finest super fine finishing paper on the seat post and derailleur cage to - I need a finer grade to finish those two though.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 891
  • photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 891
Good news - the fork is original - see the image below, with the 4 digit code matching the BB :)

The notchy feel to the headset has been identified, having retrieved my 32mm headset spanner, all components came apart cleanly, with a little help from my nephew Jack.

The interesting thing was that the bearings themselves are actually fairly good - the races will clean up okay, but the bearing cages are corroding. So I'd like some advice from you guys on what should be replaced, and what should be retained ? The bearings seem okay - but I'd be tempted to ditch them all and start afresh...

Attachments

• photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 966
  • photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 966
Back