Marin Zolatone appreciation and info thread!

integerspin":2tvygiou said:
Wish it was.
That is the original paint. I put the pics on a web page so when I asked about texture additives I could suggest they have a look at some pics I took
of the original paint to see what I am trying to achieve.

Ahh ok well let us all know if you get anywhere!

wookiee":obp0ntw4 said:
Looking good what do you need to finish it?

Just need to clean up one single brake caliper, and reassemble that set of brakes, and then re-cable the gears and polish up the hubs and change over my original HG cassette onto the Araya RM20 rim that I bought... and we're done.

Probably no more than a morning's work.

Foulplay":1qtz03ii said:
wookiee":1qtz03ii said:
Looking good what do you need to finish it?

Just need to clean up one single brake caliper, and reassemble that set of brakes, and then re-cable the gears and polish up the hubs and change over my original HG cassette onto the Araya RM20 rim that I bought... and we're done.

Probably no more than a morning's work.

A totally inspiring build though good work! And a good frame finish!

1991 Marin Stinson all totally original.

Hoorah, I manage to sort out the picture sizing...at last

Attachments

• 8510796545_775250c4ae.jpg
    8510796545_775250c4ae.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 1991 Stinson.jpg
    1991 Stinson.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 1,112
Here's my parts bin single speed Muirwoods.
Zolatone/Fluorescent is one of the iconic paint schemes from the 90's in my opinion.

file.php

viewtopic.php?p=1097067#1097067

Westfailure":jgr5mn37 said:
1991 Marin Stinson all totally original.

Hoorah, I manage to sort out the picture sizing...at last

Like that Mark I remember being tempted by it on ebay...just watch the chain on that nice zolatone bb area!!

Re:

toaster999":2hsnrzej said:
WTF is Zolatone anyway? Come on Wookie give us a history lesson!
Forgive me butting into an olde thread. I've a Bear Valley frame. It's in a state, but got it from a mate of mine who acquired it new. I'd always admired it and when the chance to nab it came up I took his fingers off. As he recalls it from the original literature that came with the bike (which, alas, he no longer has) Zolatone contains PTFE, I guess to make it more reistant to mud sticking to it etc.

I've cleaned up the 600lx groupset a treat but need to get round to doing the frame. Unfortunately, there's a Saracen and an Elswick Hopper in the queue in front of it so it may be a goodly while yet before it gets on the bench. Meanwhile i may experiment with paints and applications to try and reproduce the finish. I'm thinking suitable thick grey paint applied with a small emulsion roller may give a similar micro-stippled finish, or grey bumper paint sprayed on and the surface rolelred before it dries.

Re: Re:

Chopper1192":goz9hdla said:
toaster999":goz9hdla said:
WTF is Zolatone anyway? Come on Wookie give us a history lesson!
Forgive me butting into an olde thread. I've a Bear Valley frame. It's in a state, but got it from a mate of mine who acquired it new. I'd always admired it and when the chance to nab it came up I took his fingers off. As he recalls it from the original literature that came with the bike (which, alas, he no longer has) Zolatone contains PTFE, I guess to make it more reistant to mud sticking to it etc.

I've cleaned up the 600lx groupset a treat but need to get round to doing the frame. Unfortunately, there's a Saracen and an Elswick Hopper in the queue in front of it so it may be a goodly while yet before it gets on the bench. Meanwhile i may experiment with paints and applications to try and reproduce the finish. I'm thinking suitable thick grey paint applied with a small emulsion roller may give a similar micro-stippled finish, or grey bumper paint sprayed on and the surface rolelred before it dries.

Hi mate...yeah I think your mate is right I remember something about it being a bit non stick...bit like a frying pan! As for recreating the finish its been a long sought after one! A few have tried to get the original paint but its near impossible unless you want to buy enough to paint a battleship!

However a guy on here "foulplay" has done a bloody good job at getting it pretty much bang on! He has a mate that is a sprayer and they experimented until they got it right! It does look bloody good check out this thread about the build and you can see the finished results too...should give you some inspiration for the BV! I've been tinkering with a 92 BV all afternoon, whilst its nice it would be so much better in zolatone!

Hope this helps bud

Doug

Cheers Wookie.

Yep, my mate is very happy to discuss any other Zolatone requirements with folks from Retrobike.... Anyone else reading this, feel free to PM me for contact details if you want.

Cheers,

Lee.

Latest posts

Back