James Herbert

I've read a few of his many years ago all the Rats series and loved Fluke

But I tend to get scared and have to sleep with the light on

RIP

For many people of a certain age James Herbert books, Lair in my case, were their introduction to "grown-up" books. I kind of grew out of them but, rather like the music you listen to as a teenager, it's always good to go back to them now and again. I re-read a few of them last year and have some more waiting in my Kindle.

The protagonist in all Herbert's books was clearly always based on himself, if he lived the way some of them did I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Horror is not really my thing, but I read several JH books in my teens and quite enjoyed them. Tried a few Stephen King novels too, but found them a bit slow going.

rather like the music you listen to as a teenager

I quite often listen to music while reading and sometimes, especially if I have a new album I particularly like, I might listen to the same album several times while reading a particular book. Thereafter, listening to the album, even years later, always brings to mind the book.

xerxes":1f7n77p7 said:
Tried a few Stephen King novels too, but found them a bit slow going.

Thing is, King isn't really a 'horror writer' - he's just a prolific writer who happens to throw some dark themes into most of his books. He doesn't really keep me awake at night, but I can totally lose myself in his stories.

Back O/T, I did try reading some of JH's books when I was younger, but struggled to get into them. Maybe I was trying to take them too seriously :LOL:

Isaac_AG":1bex1r7j said:
I've read a few of his many years ago all the Rats series and loved Fluke

But I tend to get scared and have to sleep with the light on

RIP
fluke was so different to the rest of his stuff, one of the best! but you have to think!!!

Back