fignon's handlebars

hurry up!
i've ridden my baby 65 miles over 4 lunchtimestimes this week already!

frame number info - i've been up in the loft this afternoon.
the two frames are both reynolds 753 tubes in 57cm seat tube (c to c).

one has a raleigh dyna tech cromo fork fitted (this is the one that came with the vitus chrono fourche), and is quite battered. I bought her perhaps 2 years ago from an ebay seller in france - 243 pounds posted to the uk, including 26.8mm c-record seatpin, french threaded c-record bb and italian threaded c-record headset. a bargain i thought, and still do.
she has a cinelli bb with no brazed on cable guides and cinelli "dice" rear brake bridge, braze on for front mech, race number hanger and chainhanger pip inside the rear stay.
the drive side chainstay is chromed, ends are chromed campag with screw adjusters. she has "campagnolo equipped" decals and maxi sports decals on the top tube and behind the seat pin.
the internal cabling enters and exits below the top tube, not so great for delta brakes but it will work....yes indeed it will....
now to the frame number, and i have to say i'm a little excited after matt's correspondence with cyfac and the initials mt on his bb pointing to thierry marie. the bb shell says -

UR 459X G.JC
88 26

jean-claude garde rode for super u - is this my g.jc? i do hope for some of your luck matt!
cyfac perhaps will tell me.

frame 2 - full 753, including the fork, incomplete decals but nice gilt raleigh badges and some decals on forks, seat stays etc.
she takes a 27.2mm seatpin, british threaded bb and headset.
not so much of a bargain this one, but i had to buy. accident payout after nearly being killed will cover the replacement costs i feel!
she has a cinelli bb with covered "aero" cable guides and silva rear brake bridge, braze on for front mech, no race number hanger and chainhanger pip inside the rear stay.
rear ends are chromed campag with screw adjusters, front are painted campag.
the internal cabling enters below and exits above the top tube, perfect for delta brakes.
i am tild that this frame was built as a spare bike and spent time on top of a team car. hopefully i'll find out that's true!
the frame number is 189258, she carries the letters DR. not a rider i can find initials for.
again i've asked cyfac.

i'll take some pictures soon and make some new posts and add to my gallery - the battered 753 gjc is already pictured in there, with the vitus fork.
richie

I think you could be lucky with both of those.

There is no guarantee that Cyfac made all the team frames after all. Different riders had differnt frames. The second one seems similar designation to mine, but 1989. Good luck!!

Belately joining this thread to register my interest in all things Fignon-related. I have a Worksop-built 653 frame which needs to have the paint touched-up and new decals all over, then get built up in a tribute to the great man. I'd also be interested in any rides that get organised in future.

Cheers,
Gareth.

wishing i was lucky, oh wishing i was lucky......
i'll let you know when i hear from cyfac, i keep my fingers crossed.

from your post gareth i wonder what (and perhaps how many) your ride will be for the day?!

richie

bigfatron":1nbd9qqj said:
there's a frenchman on ebay (dizzibird) with a reasonable looking set of castorama decals for about 25 quid. not cheap, but they look ok. he also has gitane decals for one of my other frames.
adrian timmis gave the name of a good decal maker on his blog about his tdf peugeot, can't remember the name though - check out cadence sport blog for details.
two of my frames have raleigh decals on the headtube that have a shiny metallic for the gold, they look great.
and the frame that i am told definitely spent time with the super u team (i hope and pray for your luck matt! got to send the details to cyfac once i get into the loft for the frame numbers) has an incomplete set of decals on, gilt headtube badge, similar gilt badges on the seat tube - separate from the coloured "panel" decals - and separate "raleigh" name and lower panel decals on the forks.

i need to get some photos up. i do already have a gallery with some pictures of my old monostay frame that i rode up ventoux (picture earlier in this thread) and a 753 frame in fairly ropey condition that came with alloy vitus crono fourche. have a look for it, but i do need to update with some decent pictures of all of my frames.

i reckon the gallery 753 frame was 1990/1 castorama and shimano fitted as the internal top tube cabling exits underneath the tube - not so good for a centrepull brake like the delta (3 sets and counting - i need a 4th set, but series one, for the gitane!)

simplex retrofriction shifters only for me. i've been collecting these for ages, probably have 12 pairs now of varying quality. the prices are getting a bit silly though. the used ones aren't always great though, i think some new nylon bushes will solve it. anyone have a source?

i've also collected lots (perhaps a dozen) red coca cola bottles to go into the ta cages. getting silly prices for these too, and it seems almost impossible to get white plastic retainers for the ta cages.
and the alloy cages don't polish up that well either!

i was half joking about a super u/castorama sportive, but we should definitely try and arrange meeting up, perhaps at one of the rides already arranged?

richie

Nick at H Lloyd is the best for decals plus he has lots of NOS
http://www.hlloydcycles.com/page6.htm

thanks colnagoc59, i'll check them out.
i think i may have trawled their website before with no luck, but will get on to them asap.

in other news, cyfac have replied to my emails.
they have confirmed that all three of my super u/castorama frames were built by them between 1989 and 1991.
it appears that g.jc is indeed a marker for jean-claude garde, i am as happy as larry!

i'll take some pictures and add either posts with pictures or gallery.
to be honest, i'm not very good at either, it takes me ages to work all these online things out.
i'll have to start bolting bits onto the frames too, once i have the suitable decals for the incomplete set.
however, this will mean retrieving my "other children" from the loft and could be bad for my marriage as my wife is not aware that i have three frames - although i could claim that i have one for each of my daughters? and should name the bikes accordingly!

i'm also a bit involved with a retro and tours project linked to a bike shop opening shortly in berkhamsted, lovelo cycle works (www.lovelocycles.co.uk). i'll have at least one of my rides at the shop on the "grand opening" day, sunday 28th april, so if you're nearby and fancy popping in, look for the fat bloke in the super u jersey!

richie

That's a result. If you would like me to store one of those frames in my loft for you I would be more than happy to take it off your hands..... :D

haha! so you ride 57cm then kettlo?!

you are the man to talk to about decals for raleigh and maxi sports i gather?
i'm interested in your services, would you need photos and measurements?

richie

Back