Morrisons meat

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Had enough now, their sell by dates are getting very dodgy indeed.......opened some raw chicken with 3 days to go and i nearly threw up....not the 1st time, but the last..........

Speaking of supermarket meat, I have just finished Michael Morpurgo's latest book set in a tesco meat department.

It is called "Raw Horse"

funny that, a few years ago i went to tokyp for the weekend to go to the auto salon. on the first night my wife and i went out to look for somewhere to eat and came across a restaurant with raw chicken and raw horse on the menu!! sadly we werent brave enough and had gyoza and chips instead.

We should start using are locally sourced meat from the butchers, however can you take there word for it.

local butchers would surely take more pride in their meat. plus the issue has been with mass processed 'mechanically recovered' meats rather than the cuts you would get from the butcher.

In the mid 80s I spent a year as a trainee manager for one of the above mentioned stores. The butchery boss opened every prepack on the day of its sell by, sniffed it and then repackaged it with a new date. Same thing with the fruit and veg manager. I doubt much has changed since.

( It reduced shrinkage , which every manager was measured against)

I am veggie mostly, but will eat roadkill or anything from the hill that is going spare. We never buy meat from supermarkets, and in London only from butchers or the markets.

You get what you pay for I reckon.

The wife likes it fresh and lean, and if game well hung.

highlandsflyer":1g7fanrp said:
The wife likes it fresh and lean, and if game well hung.
My wife used to say the same thing about my manhood :facepalm:

You ever wondered why sealed meat packages are full of air and the top bulges ?

The products are sealed in a pressurised room and the package is filled with pure CO2
and the package looks sucked in, when it comes out of the pressurised room the CO2
expands causing the whole package to bulge, The CO2 is there to keep the product as
fresh as possible, this applies to pre-packed salad stuff too, Some food can be really old but
its the CO2 which is keeping it fresh, so as soon as the package is popped it starts to deteriorate.

My sister is a Manager at Tesco's and she has told me what goes on behind closed doors
to the point I no longer buy meat from Tesco's, She even told me out of date meats are
taken back to meat factories, old packaging thrown away, any bad looking parts of meat
cut off then re-weighed & re-packaged with in fresh dates.

Stale unsold bread which was for-sale in supermarkets is sent to sausage meat plants
and added into cheap sausages/sausage meat - burgers.

Gone off chicken which is bleached to get rid of the smell & colour, the bleach they use is similar to Milton Sterilising solution.

Back