The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised weights

Re: The good old days when bike manufacturers publicised wei

legrandefromage":3il3y71s said:
:oops: I got my Zaskar in a sale
Shame on you.

Go to your room and ruminate on that, and don't come down until you've learned your lesson.

It is much easier to build a light bike now than it was then. It is just that lightness is less often the goal these days.

You can get a 2.25in tyre that books at 475g these days. A decent bitd kevlar 2.1 probably gives away at least 150g to that. Ht2 BB setups can be very light too.

I've had 22lb steel and 20lb ti bikes and none were built silly - my current merlin spec is 20.7 and I know where I could get most of another pound at minimal cost but with compromised thrash ability.

I'd also like to bet that none of the retrobikes being listed at those weights would pass the new BS EN14766 tests that mass-produced new bikes should pass, whereas something like the Boardman will.

If anyone cares to trawl the Marin catalogue all their weights are minus pedals and bottle cages/reflectors and they actually stated it in a disclaimer and why (clips/SPD era basically)
I think bikepedia has the $ us price so switch that to £ and you got the normal UK porice even if the exchange rate didn't add up ;-)

samc":2cv18hf5 said:
Russell":2cv18hf5 said:
Come on... Somebody link to a retro catalogue that shows a steel framed bike that's sub 24lbs and £900. Lets put this to bed once and for all.

I started the thread because my Lavadome is sub 24lbs - surely that was about £900 back in ye olden time, wasn't it? I seem to remember them being vaguely affordable.

It's currently a scabby Noleen Vector fork on it and pedals - admittedly I've put some lightweight tubes on it, but it's pretty much there.

Lava domes where £400 in 1990 ramping gradually up to £560 in 1997, stock of course
The kiluea was the 900 quid kona, just under the explosif.

A 1992 rocky mountain hammer dx equipped was £900 second from bottom of the range.
Doubt it was sub 24lbs some how. Cracking bikes to ride though.

Quite... no-one, certainly not me, is doubting that retro bikes are worth riding, god knows I own enough of the damn things and last year I would have put money on the fact that I was riding the oldest, most obsolete bike round the HoNC, But.....

I am a cyclist, and I love all types of bikes and I'm bored of people bandying about half truths and outright lies about modern bikes, the weight issue being the main one that seems to get dragged up.

I've not seen any evidence here yet that in the '90s (up to 1997, as defines retro) you could get a sub 24lb hardtail for £900 or less, so I'm calling it... Pound (£) for pound (lb) modern bikes are lighter than their retro equivalents. Flicking through the archive has also revealed that manufacturers BITD were every bit as elusive with quoting weights as they are these days... Rose tinted indeed :)

the £900 Kilauea was booked at 22.9lb in 1996. Without pedals tho.

Rigid too wasn't it?

This search has given me a new appreciation for what Kona were doing in the 90's. Their bikes were seriously light out of the showroom and even their early suspension models were sub 27lbs, impressive.

Russell":1szs4t8n said:
Rigid too wasn't it?

This search has given me a new appreciation for what Kona were doing in the 90's. Their bikes were seriously light out of the showroom and even their early suspension models were sub 27lbs, impressive.

http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catal ... 994/11.jpg AA frame quoted as 4 Lbs, and the size 19" came bang on the nail. They seemed to very genuine with the numbers too.

EDIT: I can agree with the OP when looking at the very comprehensive spec sheet with weights; very detailed:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... g+1994.pdf

Old bikes had garbage like cut down MA40 rims which lasted me a few months at the most! Current bikes have nice manly rims. My Team Marin and Specialized M2 Team Ed frames also only lasted a few months. My Chromag frame may be heavier but at least its still in one piece! :D

Latest posts

Back