Porky wheelset issue, help required

suburbanreuben":3vw4ra6v said:
Don't get over concerned with the weight of hubs. Unless you're going for something like DT240s (240g rear hub) hubs are much of a muchness weightwise at the rear, 300-400 g ish. Some of the very best hubs, Phil Wood for example, weigh a ton! It's the rim weight that counts, but as has been said light rims tend not to be strong, and strong rims tend not to be light.
Are the spokes Double butted? they help a bit weightwise, and I think they help the ride a wheel gives. I can't understand people who'll happily shell out on fancy hubs and ano nips and then save a tenner by building with straight gauge spokes...

I think you're right
I'm obsessed with being able to lift the bike up with a finger or two without much effort
I expected my Mtrax to be comparable in lightness with my dynatech and RSP Ti.
But it's heavier
The forks are heavier and hubs are probably heavier too.

After reading these posts I think I will stick to what I have and just change the forks when I can afford to ie in a few weeks. Unless someone wants some lovely TF Tuned polished marzocchi z3 80mm travel 175mm steerer to swap for magura quake air? I'd probably end up keeping them if not magura quake air as the z3s are lovely my only issue is they're on the heavy side and 80mm is probably bit too much for my frame.

No rush

How do I check whether the spokes are butted?

Weigh your wheels without your tyres and tubes and cassette. Then you'll know it real weight.
Feel the spokes they should have to bumps in them. I.e. thicker at the ends than the middle. The easiest way is with a vernier calliper and measure them at the middle and ends.

The rims are not heavy, the hubs are not light,nor heavy.
An m737 hub laced 3x 32hole with double butted spokes, Alu nipples to a m230TIB rim and plastic rim tapes weighs 1007g
Stick a heavier rim like yours on and brass nipples and you'll be around 1080g. Which is not basd

My ti-glide with xc717 3x 32hole dB spokes, ALU nipples is about 70g lighter.
Which is not a lot in the scheme of fitting thicker innertubes are heavy tyres.

I don't think the spokes are butted, can't feel any bumps or anything on them.
Here she is;

s6q5o9.jpg

2ihm7fq.jpg

Forks too big I think.

What I don't understand is that (I haven't weighed her as yet) The catalogue spec here;
Says weight inc Indy SL forks 26 1/4 Ibs.

img0001nd1_1.jpg

Original spec includes;

Fork - RS indy SL
Cranks - LX
Derailleurs - LX
Brakes/Levers - LX
Rims - Mavic 221
Hubs - LX
Tyres - WTB Velociraptor
Seat Pin - RSP Alloy
Saddle - WTB SST cro Mo

yet mine feels much heavier

I have a lighter weight spec (I am sure)

So judging by this, would you assume that She would be lighter than 26 1/4 Ibs?
Or am I going mad? (As my MT4 and RSP Ti are noticeably much lighter in weight)

cce":2ruvzqz9 said:
that fork will be much heavier than an indy SL for a start

Yep, the Marz Z3 is about a Ib heavier than the SL - on second thought, my spec is probably HEAVIER than the original! :(

to be honest, it's about same or similar length to the original RSP stem which was on the catalogue spec;

Here's the 450 Elite version - it has same stem as catalogue spec

scan0012_copy.jpg

Apologies
I weighed it with some new digi scales I bought for the purpose.
Bike inc marzocchi z3 is 25 Ibs, lighter than catalogue spec

With the new magura rond quakes I've bought it'll be around a Pound lighter.

I'm definitely going insane and obsessive compulsive with weight weening

Back