rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Yep another weight issue again !

Am in a spot of bother
Bought some Mavic x517 Sup rims on XT M737 hubs

And they weigh a ton! Especially the rear wheel, even with a lighter cassette and very light Michelin wildracer advanced 2.0 tyres.

:(

Really annoyed.

They (along with the marzocchi z3 - separate issue) make the poor bike frame weigh quite a bit.

I'm going to change the forks for some Magura Quake Air or SIDS but Its the wheels.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight wheelset that I could get here on retrobike for under £100?? Something substantially lighter than whAt I have ?

And if there Are any sellers??

How much do they weight?

XT's on 517's are not particularly porky tbh

and lightweight for sub £100?

As Keith B would say "Strong, light, cheap - pick 2"

Xt hubs are not especially light. The xtr m950 rear is around 100g lighter than an m737 for example.

What spokes are they? Butted or plain gaugr ?

Have you actually weighed the wheels and compared them to others? Have a look at the weight weenie listings http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php, you'll find that the X517 is a pretty light rim, lighter even than some more modern Mavic's. The XT M737 hubs don't fare too badly either, not the lightest, but respectable, and unless you want to spend £££'s on the lightest wheelset you can find I doubt you'll get signifficantly lighter for around the same price.

If you're not happy with them then get in touch and we can sort something out?

All these weight issues - just hit the gym, better to try and lose weight off yourself rather than the bike.

And cheaper.

Kona lover":1k59iy2e said:
All these weight issues - just hit the gym, better to try and lose weight off yourself rather than the bike.

And cheaper.

a few lb off the rider is far more noticeable than a lb off the bike. :D

I saw the weight weenies listings
But it's strange
My mavic 231 on xtr m900 with smokes tyres are lighter.

I just don't like heavy bikes.

Not sure about the spokes .
I may enquire with who I bought them from

Are hope Ti hubs substantially lighter?

Don't get over concerned with the weight of hubs. Unless you're going for something like DT240s (240g rear hub) hubs are much of a muchness weightwise at the rear, 300-400 g ish. Some of the very best hubs, Phil Wood for example, weigh a ton! It's the rim weight that counts, but as has been said light rims tend not to be strong, and strong rims tend not to be light.
Are the spokes Double butted? they help a bit weightwise, and I think they help the ride a wheel gives. I can't understand people who'll happily shell out on fancy hubs and ano nips and then save a tenner by building with straight gauge spokes...

What bike frame are you hanging everything off?

Pace forks any use?

I have a disgustingly light light Mavic rim on a Hope Ti (I think) hub which I used on the C16R in the Corrieyairack Challenge with no ill effects (to the wheel). I'll have a look at the model number for you and report back :D

You could remove every other spoke, drill holes in the tyres with a 15mm bit, oh and replace the air with Helium. That'll lighten them

And make they completely unsafe even to look at

Back