How........

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
..........do I get this off, getting frustrated now, what I thought was an easy job is really bugging me.

Its a six speed on an 88 deore hub

sorry but I need help

DSCF6778_zpsdabe374c.jpg

I think this is a Uniglide hub - the smallest sprocket is screwed on, which holds the rest in place. You simply need to unscrew it, but you'll probably need two chain-whips to do it!

If you've only got one chain-whip, you can wrap a piece of old chain around the big sprocket and then thread a piece of metal bar (like a screwdriver) between the chain links and you might get enough purchase on it to undo it. Or you might just break the screwdriver.

Or have you already removed the smallest sprocket? Difficult to tell from the photo... if you've already taken the threaded sprocket(s) off, from memory the rest should just fall off...

No, its exactly as it was when I got it but it does look like it should just slide off, oh and yeah - pretty sure its an old UG too.

I will have to try the old double chain whip idea ...... with a spare chain tho as like you say... only got one

cheers
RBG

UG was available in 6 and 7 speed... could it be a 6s on a 7s body? If you cleaned it up a bit you might be able to see if the smallest sprocket is threaded and is screwed on :LOL:

As mentioned above, you need two chain whips, your small cog is counter tightened against the rest of the cassette. This was Shimano's original cassette system, later replaced by the internally threaded freehub and lockring used to this day.

Some good info here: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Back